Author Topic: Oysters; Smoked; Not On the Half Shell  (Read 459 times)

Offline Gun Smoke

Oysters; Smoked; Not On the Half Shell
« on: May 04, 2019, 10:16:20 am »
I would like to make smoked oysters but am having trouble finding a good recipe.  Not Oysters on the half shell but good shucked, smoked oysters.  I would appreciate your input on pans? racks? brine and smoking.  Thank you.

Offline Habanero Smoker

• Member Extraordinaire
  • KCBS - Master Certified Barbecue Judge
Re: Oysters; Smoked; Not On the Half Shell
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2019, 02:18:26 am »
Hi Gun Smoke;

Welcome to the forum.

I haven't smoked oysters, but have smoked mussels in the Bradley. Go to the home page and do a search for mussels. You may find a recipe that you can adapt for oysters.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Offline Orion

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2019, 07:52:34 am »
I used to smoke fresh oysters many years ago in my first smoker; Little Chief.

All I ever did was brine the fresh and rinsed oysters in the same type of brine I used for salmon. Let oysters soak in brine in the fridge for 24 hours and then put on a rack and tray in the fridge to allow them to drain for a few hours. I would always put tin foil on the bottom rack as they will continue to drip as they are smoked.

You can put a few dashes of your favourite spices on once they are arranged on the racks and ready to go in the smoker... garlic powder, chilli flakes, cayenne ect.

Alder is a good choice of wood for any seafood. Smoke them heavily and ensure you bring the internal temperature to a safe level. Seafood is prone to spoiling quickly and easily do you need to practise the utmost safe food handling procedures. Quickly out of the cold fridge and into a hot smoker always using clean equipment and work space. Once smoked put them on a rack and straight into the fridge to cool quickly.

If you make a brine, put a little aside before you put the oysters in it. Once the oysters are smoked and cooled then put them in a glass container and drizzle a little of the fresh unused brine over them. Mason jars work fine storage. Put lids on and straight into fridge. Don’t make more than will be eaten in a few days unless you plan to pressure can them. I’ve done that  and it works fine but is a big project.

I always use glass or stainless containers for brining and storing food product. Hard to get decent oysters here in Alberta so I haven’t done them in years however they always turned out beautifully. I preferred the smaller oysters for smoking.

Let us know how you make out.

It's going to take a lifetime to smoke all this.

Create account for free at www.photobucket.com
Load selected pictures to your album
Left click on picture you want to post
Left click on IMG to copy (lower of 4 options)
Paste into your post
Viola!

Offline Gun Smoke

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2019, 08:44:02 am »
Thank you to both who responded.  Please keep the recipes coming.