Jerky - Cut with or against the grain?

Started by Michael, August 26, 2006, 02:05:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael

I'm trying my hand at some beef jerky.  I did a quick search but I couldn't find anything suggesting if I should cut my beef slices with the grain or against the grain. 

MRH

I have always cut with the grain.  I think it will tend to fall apart if you cut across it.

Mark

pfowl01

I cut it wich ever way it will fit in the slicer. Done jerky about five times now and I can't tell a difference across the grain or with it.

nsxbill

I have done it both ways, and I like the tenderness of the cuts across grain myself.  Cutting with the grain makes it far more chewy than I like with these old teeth!

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

Smudge

The traditional method is to cut it with the grain. I sometimes jerk eye of round and of course it only makes sense to cut against the grain with that particular piece. making nice round slices.

whitetailfan

The answer will mostly lie with the shape of the meat you are starting with.  If you want to jerk a round steak you need to go with the grain because it was cut against the grain when it was steaked.  If you have a roast, you can choose.

My strong preferrence is against the grain.  It produces a jerky that easily snaps off in your teeth and almost melts in your mouth. :P  I personally hate chewy with-the-grain jerky.  Makes me feel like a dog working on a chew toy.

My 2 cents.
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

Smudge

I'll eat jerky like potato chips when it's cut against the grain. Cutting it with the grain slows me down and I find myself savoring the product more.

Dougsts

i have done it both ways,, but i guess im a mutt,  i like the chewing part,, so my vote would be with the grain

Chez Bubba

Quote from: Michael on August 26, 2006, 02:05:01 PM
I'm trying my hand at some beef jerky.

Quote from: pfowl01 on August 27, 2006, 06:16:38 AM
Done jerky about five times now and I can't tell a difference

Quote from: nsxbill on August 27, 2006, 09:58:19 AM
I have done it both ways, and I like the tenderness

Quote from: Smudge on August 27, 2006, 10:15:27 AM
I sometimes jerk

Quote from: whitetailfan on August 29, 2006, 08:27:36 AM
The answer will mostly lie with the shape of the meat you are starting with.  If you want to jerk...My strong preferrence is...It produces a jerky that easily snaps off in your teeth and almost melts in your mouth.

Quote from: Smudge on August 30, 2006, 10:48:59 AM
and I find myself savoring the product more.

Quote from: Dougsts on September 01, 2006, 01:51:00 PM
i have done it both ways,, but i guess im a mutt,  i like the chewing part

Quote from: agent provocateur on September 01, 2006, 06:51:36 PM
my fingernails are turning brown...

Can you guys seriously expect me to refrain from pointing out you have lobbed 8 fatties down the center of the plate?!! ;D

I could go on for paragraphs with the material here. Too funny! ;D

And John, that's just hair. Your mother warned you.

Kirk
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

Habanero Smoker

Kirk,

Me thinks you are turning this thread into a spammer's dream. ;D

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)