Casings

Started by souper, April 20, 2019, 11:22:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

souper

So I am brand new to the whole sausage stuffing thing.  I understand there are different casings but just out of curiosity, can you use intestines?  Isn't that how it all started? Is that gross?  I want to smoke some and really don't know what casings are best. I would appreciate any help.  Thanks in advance.

souper

Orion

Casings are dependant on what type of sausage you are making. Something being "gross" is pretty subjective. I've made lots of dinner sausage, smokies and pepperoni riding sheep intestine. They are washed and packed in salt . Nothing unappealing about them at all in my mind.

If you provide more info as to what you are making then the forum can better help you choose a casing. The possibilities are pretty vast.
It's going to take a lifetime to smoke all this.

souper

I would really like to make some sausage with some venison I have in the freezer.  I purchased some pork back fat with the skin (which I will remove). I have a recipe by Rytek Kumasi so I will try that.  I only have a Kitchenaid stuffer so I only have 2 sizes I can make right now.  I just want the sausage to be flavorful and I want to make sure the smoke permeates the casing.  I just don't know what I am doing.

Habanero Smoker

I prefer natural casings. For something like the sausage you want to make, I prefer 32mm - 35mm hog casings. That will make a sausage about the diameter of kielbasa. Hot dogs I like to use sheep casings, about 22mm - 24mm. For sticks you want to use a casing around 19mm. Many prefer collagen casing, if using those get the edible collagen casings about the same size.

Read some of the recipes on this forum, then go on youtube and watch a few videos. Try to find videos that use the Kitchen Aide stuffer.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

souper

Sausage Master

I like to use cellulose casings for all of my sausage products.  Very easy to work with.
Charles (Chuck) Freeland
The Sausage Master
Phone: 405-397-1084 Fax: 888-547-7993
Email: [email protected]