Smoked Butt & Sous Vide

Started by Scotty-G, May 27, 2019, 10:18:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scotty-G

Been a while since I posted here. Been a while (2 yrs?) since I have had time to use the smoker.
Decided today was the day to return to smoking  :)
Bought some pork shoulder and was planning on starting last night but the evening got away from me and got a late start this AM  :(
Cut shoulders into smaller pieces, seasoned and they are in the smoker - set a 205°C
After 4 hrs of smoke, I plan to vacuum bag them and put them into a sous vide bath. Most times, I see 140°-160° for 18-24 hrs posted.
Am thinking 205° for ~8 hrs. Anyone have thoughts on if this will work?
Thx,
Scotty-G

Habanero Smoker

Welcome back Scotty-G.

I've never tried to sous vide either a butt or a brisket, but I do sous vide. I have a cookbook "The Food Lab". The author of this book also has a website called "Serious Eats". Every recipe I've tried in his book has worked perfectly. He has a sous vide pork shoulder recipe on his site. He charts out different temperatures/times, and the type of texture to expect from the finished product. By his chart 205°F will take approximately 5 hours. He does warn if you cook too long you will end up with a mushy texture. Also he sous vides the whole bone-in butt, so you may want to reduce your times.

https://www.seriouseats.com/2016/07/food-lab-complete-guide-smoky-sous-vide-pork-shoulder.html

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Scotty-G

Hey Hab
It was great to use the smoker again. Thank you for the link. Lots of great info there. Definitely bookmarked. Will check out his book too.
Wound up doing sous vide at 180°F for 5 hrs after 5 hrs in the smoker at 210°F.  IT was 160° so almost ready for pulling. For time sake - everyone was hungry - I just did a combo chop-tear-pull. Came our great.
School ends soon so already thinking about what to make for the kids to celebrate that.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Habanero Smoker

The pulled pork sounds great. The cook book is very interesting, but only one chapter deals with sous vide. The subtitle of the book is "Better Home Cooking Through Science". So I'm often referring to it when I have a cooking question.  The author use to work for the American Test Kitchens.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Wildcat

Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/