Pork sholder

Started by _Bear_, June 17, 2019, 01:06:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

_Bear_

Going to smoke a small pork shoulder (5 lbs) to make pulled pig this week. I am trying something new..ish. I am going to slather is with Dejon mustard, then rub it with a new to me rub. I got it off the net and they tell me it is a Tony Roma's knock off for their ribs, so I thought I would give it a try

1 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup paprika
2 tbsp black pepper
1 tbsp salt
1 tbsp chili powder
1 1/2 tbsp garlic powder
1 1/2 tbsp onion powder
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper

It should be interesting, at the very least tasty. Will post picks. If it turns out to be good I will try it on a load of side ribs next week.
Bradly Digital 6 rack smoker
Bradley Propane Smoker
The Big Easy
Broil King gas BBQ
"Cant hurt it, it's already dead"

Orion

5 lbs... I'd say about 9 -10 hours at 225F to reach IT of 191. 191F is the point when the connective tissue starts to break down well and it pulls nicely. I bring them up to about 193 F and then foil tent and wrap in towels for an hour to rest. I only pull what will be eaten and the rest I leave whole and well wrapped in fridge to retain moisture. Then when we want more I pull it cold, place in a glass dish, pour a little apple juice in and put a little bbq sauce on it, cover tightly and reheat in a low oven until just hot enough to eat. Seems to keep it moist.
It's going to take a lifetime to smoke all this.

_Bear_

That sounds good Orion. I was planning on pulling it at 193* and FTC it for 2.5 hrs. I will probably shred it all because it will probably all go in one sitting because we are having the grand kids over for supper and a sleep over, but I will use your idea the next time I do a large one Here is slathered in Dejon mustard and rubbed in the above spice. It will rent in my fridge until tomorrow morning and it will go in at 220*. I will put 3 hrs of smoke to it (9 pucks) changing the water out at 1.5 hrs then again at 3 hrs then just let her cook until it comes up to 193* I am also making home made boston beans from scratch to go with it

Bradley Propane Smoker
The Big Easy
Broil King gas BBQ

Habanero Smoker

That is very similar to the rub I use on my butts, but a lot less sugar and no chili powder:

1/4 cup Black Pepper, fresh cracked
1/4 cup Paprika
1 /4 cup Turbinado Sugar or Brown Sugar
2 Tbsp. Salt, Kosher
2 tsp. Mustard, dry
1 tsp. Cayenne pepper
(Makes enough for one 6 - 8 lb. Boston Butt)

It comes out great. I also apply the rub the night before, wrap it tightly with plastic wrap, place on a rimmed baking sheet, and into the refrigerator overnight. Before placing it into the smoker I will add one more layer of rub, but you rub has so much sugar I wouldn't add an additional layer. I like to pull the whole butt at one time. It's easier to pull while warm, plus if there is some to store, you can package it the way you want (such as serving size), vacuum seal, and freeze. That way it is ready to reheat when you want a quick meal. Pulled meat is one of those dishes that are easy to add moisture to.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

_Bear_

That's why I am doing this little 5 pounder Hab, just trying out a new recipe. I agree it seems like a lot of sugar, but the grand kids should like it lol.
Bradley Propane Smoker
The Big Easy
Broil King gas BBQ

Ka Honu

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on June 17, 2019, 02:21:45 PM...I like to pull the whole butt at one time. It's easier to pull while warm, plus if there is some to store, you can package it the way you want (such as serving size), vacuum seal, and freeze.

What he said. I usually smoke 2 butts at a time and pull after FTC. Then I let it sit in the defatted drippings in the fridge for a day or so, and vac-pack in 1-2# "servings" before freezing. It's good indefinitely. Thaw, add a splash of apple juice if necessary, and gently reheat. Better than ever.

_Bear_

After 18 hrs wrapped up in the fridge and 2 hrs resting, it is in the smoker. 3 hrs of smoke alternating apple and cherry @220*

Bradley Propane Smoker
The Big Easy
Broil King gas BBQ

_Bear_

4 hrs into the smoke 129*.

Bradley Propane Smoker
The Big Easy
Broil King gas BBQ

_Bear_

If anyone is looking for a nice dipping sauce I found this one online and I really like it. It has some heat and a nice taste to it

This is Carolina-style barbecue sauce. This means that it is vinegar and mustard based, as opposed to the ketchup and molasses-based sauces of the mid and southwest. The combination of sweet and tangy flavors brings out the absolute best in grilled or smoked pork or chicken.
Ingredients
•   1 cup/240 mL prepared yellow mustard
•   1/2 cup/120 mL sugar
•   1/3 cup/80 mL light brown sugar
•   3/4 cup/180 mL cider vinegar
•   1/4 cup/60 mL water
•   2 tablespoons/30 mL chili powder (mild)
•   1 teaspoon/5 mL black pepper
•   1 teaspoon/5 mL white pepper
•   Optional: 1/2 teaspoon/2.5 mL cayenne
•   1 teaspoon/5 mL soy sauce
•   2 tablespoons/30 mL butter
Steps to Make It
1.   Combine all ingredients, except soy sauce, butter and liquid smoke, in a medium saucepan. Simmer on low for 20 minutes, making sure to stir occasionally. Add the remaining ingredients and simmer for 10 more minutes.
2.   Remove sauce from heat and allow mixture to cool for 10 to 15 minutes before using.
3.   Use in your favorite BBQ recipe and enjoy!
Bradley Propane Smoker
The Big Easy
Broil King gas BBQ

Orion

Sauce recipe looks good. I'll be trying that soon. Thanks for sharing.

_Bear_

After 13 hrs, pulled at 191*, FTC, will let it rest for 2 hrs, pull it and shred it with some apple juice. It sure has a nice bark on it. I splashed a little bit of apple juice in the pan and the paprika sure showed up lol

Bradley Propane Smoker
The Big Easy
Broil King gas BBQ

Orion

Chalk up another one for Bear.

rnmac

That looks delicious Bear. How much liquid smoke did you put in the sauce recipe?

Edward176

WOW, really nice looking piece of meat!!! I can smell it over here, enjoy...

_Bear_

Quote from: rnmac on June 19, 2019, 05:16:17 AM
That looks delicious Bear. How much liquid smoke did you put in the sauce recipe?
I put no liquid smoke in the sauce, I actually took it off the recipe. I get lots of smoke flavor from the meat. Great sauce though, had to try a little at 1:30 am after I was done shredding the pork LOL. If you want to use liquid smoke they call for 1 tbsp.
Bradley Propane Smoker
The Big Easy
Broil King gas BBQ