Dual Elements question

Started by tbronder5, June 18, 2019, 09:58:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tbronder5

I know this has been dug up and answered 1 million times. I have looked through endless posts on this but still end up confused as to what to do or what is recommended or not recommended.

Here is what my questions are.

I see that the new Digital smoker coming out has a dual 400 w setup and I have to say it is about time! Unfortunately I do not have and I don't think I will be able to justify spending the moeny on it so I will be sticking to my Digital 6 rack. I know a lot of people install a second element, which I  know Bradley does not recommend doing. I am not doing a lot of sausage smoking if I am doing any at all. The only thing I will dabble in is Snack Sticks but mostly it is jerky, salmon, turkey, chicken etc.

Is the Smoke Generator/Controller able to handle a second element if it is wired parallel to the first one?

I don't want to have to spend an additional $200+ on a PID if i don't need it.

Again I know it is not recommended by Bradley just looking for your opinion. I know some guys have done the dual element mod without running a PID.

Also if there is a better solution let me know. I am not looking to get into rebuilding my smoker just would like some extra heat for recovery times as I am in the North East.

Thanks,
Trevor

Orion

Hey Trevor, the six rack digital will work fine with a second 500 watt element wired in parallel.
You absolutely do not need a PID. All it does is reduce the temperature variation as the element(s) cycle on and off. Might be nice to have but you can easily carry on smoking without one.
Just bolt a second element in and carry on. That will resolve the heat recovery issue.
It's going to take a lifetime to smoke all this.

tbronder5

Quote from: Orion on June 18, 2019, 12:02:33 PM
Hey Trevor, the six rack digital will work fine with a second 500 watt element wired in parallel.
You absolutely do not need a PID. All it does is reduce the temperature variation as the element(s) cycle on and off. Might be nice to have but you can easily carry on smoking without one.
Just bolt a second element in and carry on. That will resolve the heat recovery issue.

Orion I appreciate the help. I have read through so many posts my head was starting to spin!   :o I believe I saw your mod on yours. You used the clamps to hold the element right?

Orion

That's correct, I used 3 clamps and some wire. It's been trouble free and heats well. I understand your head spinning; the topic has been beat to death. Keep it simple and you'll be happy.

Orion

Quote from: tbronder5 on June 18, 2019, 09:58:23 AM
I know this has been dug up and answered 1 million times. I have looked through endless posts on this but still end up confused as to what to do or what is recommended or not recommended.

Here is what my questions are.

I see that the new Digital smoker coming out has a dual 400 w setup and I have to say it is about time! Unfortunately I do not have and I don't think I will be able to justify spending the moeny on it so I will be sticking to my Digital 6 rack. I know a lot of people install a second element, which I  know Bradley does not recommend doing. I am not doing a lot of sausage smoking if I am doing any at all. The only thing I will dabble in is Snack Sticks but mostly it is jerky, salmon, turkey, chicken etc.

Is the Smoke Generator/Controller able to handle a second element if it is wired parallel to the first one?

I don't want to have to spend an additional $200+ on a PID if i don't need it.

Again I know it is not recommended by Bradley just looking for your opinion. I know some guys have done the dual element mod without running a PID.

Also if there is a better solution let me know. I am not looking to get into rebuilding my smoker just would like some extra heat for recovery times as I am in the North East.

Thanks,
Trevor

PM Sent.

rgthoma

Sorry to hijack this post but I am interested in doing this to my smoker.  Does someone have a quick and easy solution without making it a Rube Goldberg design?  Thanks!

GusRobin

I think Orions method is the simplest
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Habanero Smoker

You can also search the forum for TedEbear design. It uses very little wiring, and simple to wire.

What model type are you modifying and are you going to use a third party temperature controller?

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

TedEbear

The way I did mine was to drill/grind a hole in each end of the heat shield just large enough for the element to fit snugly in.  Be careful when you do this as the thin metal tends to catch and tear rather than cut when the drill bit size gets large.  It's been a few years but I think I used increasingly larger drill bits up to 3/8" and then a grinding bit to enlarge it the rest of the way.

After that, I just connected each end of the new element to each end of the original element with a 3-4" loop of high temp wire (free from a local appliance repair store) and some non-insulated ring terminals.  I am running a PID controller but I have read that some people still use the original controller without any over-current problem.