Advice on what smoker to buy

Started by YEG SMOKE, July 17, 2019, 11:09:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

YEG SMOKE

Hey there

I'm an avid BBQ'er and LOVE my red meat. I'm brand new to the "smoker" scene and need some advise on what smoker to buy.

Here is what i'd like to be able to do with it :

Brisket
Ribs
Cheese
Jerky

My budget is around $500-600

Which one is better bang for the buck?

Bradley Smoker Original 4-Rack Electric Smoker Model # BS611 $398.00 from Home depot
Bradley Smoker 31-inch Vertical 4-Rack Digital Electric Smoker Model # BTDS76P $498.00 from Home depot
Bradley Smoker Original 6-Rack Smoker Model # BS815XLT  $589.00 from home depot
or
https://www.wayfair.ca/outdoor/pdp/bradley-smoker-original-electric-smoker-bm1026.html  CAD $363.99 from wayfair.ca

Any help or direction would be amazing !

rnmac

Hello YEG SMOKE & welcome to the forum.

I have the 6 rack digital and love it.
I imagine you should be getting some more replies from people with more experience than me shortly.
There are a pretty good group of smokers here.
Don't forget to add pulled pork, wings & nuts to your list also.
Happy smoking.

Gebs27

I have a 4 rack originally

Half the time I am fixing it.

And now the wires are burning off the damm element. Headed to Canadian tire for parts. And my turkey is ruined.

I don't think I'll buy another one...

Edward176

Hello YEG SMOKE and welcome to the forum. I've had my digital 6 rack for almost 6 years now, and love it. I couple of hiccups and I had to replace my Bisquette pusher motor and micro switch once already. Called Bradley help line and they walked me through the trouble shooting and confirmed that one or both are defective and that I should replace both, since I would have the smoke generator apart. They mailed out the parts and a week later I was up and running. The service rep also suggested that I bring in my smoke generator for the winter months after I told him I leave it in the garage all winter here in Winnipeg Canada. If I intend on smoking something in winter I just bring my Generator out, connect it and return it back indoors after my smoke. He said that the freeze up, moisture and condensation could damage delicate electronics like the circuit board, small motor or micro switches. Since then I've had NO issues and happily smoke most of the year.
I chose the 6 rack over the 4 rack because it's taller and it gives me more room to hang sausage and snack sticks. I liked the idea of the digital over the original because I felt I had better control, and the Digital was on sale and very close to the 6 rack price. 

manxman

It is difficult to advise others and there is no simple answer. First things first I would get a clear picture in your mind of the similarities and differences between the original and digital to try and ascertain which is likely to suit your needs best? For example the original is perhaps more labour intensive and hands on. Similarly how much food are you likely to smoke....6 rack versus 4 rack?

I got my first Original Bradley in 2005 and my son is now using it, still works fine. Last year I bought a replacement and again looked at original versus digital but stayed with the 4 rack original because is suited my needs best, there is less to go wrong and the cost saving meant I could replace some accessories.  The deal breaker for me is that I do a lot of cold smoking as well as some hot smoking, the original to my mind is easier for cold smoking and the price difference paid for a new cold smoke attachment which is very useful if you are smoking cheese.

I did buy an Auber PID further down the line to bring some extra control to my original BS which I saw as a nicety and not an essential, just bought it when I had some money available.

Similarly do you have somewhere to store it and run it, some people need to buy a storage unit and / or a small bench to sit the unit on which again all costs money so it is important to look at all your needs in addition to just the unit itself.

Good luck making your decision.  :)
Manxman