Thermometer

Started by ragweed, December 03, 2011, 06:57:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ragweed

Can I use a Bradley Digital Smoker Thermometer in my OBS by just running the lead between the door gaskets? Or do I have to drill a hole?

Probably just the first of my questions. So please bear with me...Ragweed

GusRobin

Why? what are you trying to accomplish? Many buy a remote thermometer such as the maverick 732.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Mr Walleye

Gus

I think Ragweed is talking about the Bradley Remote Thermometer that sell as an accessory.

You can either hang the temp probe through the vent or simply close the door on it. I find it easier to simply close the door on the wire. It's easier to handle rack rotations this way.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

ragweed

Thanks.  Just wanted to know if I could close the door on the probe cord and still get a good smoke.  That the gaskets would still seal properly.  I think I'll go with a remote as suggested though.  Just a few dollars more.  Thanks again...Ragweed

JZ

I have a remote and you will still have a cord that runs from inside the smoker to the outside. The remote simply lets you monitor temps with a seperate gauge that you can carry with you or have in the house etc.

Not sure if the Maverik is the same as mine though.

Meat tooth

I use a Maverick wired thermo for my box temp. It has a magnet that sticks it to the SG, I ran the probe wire through the SG opening (there is just enough clearance). I attached two brackets inside the box under the first rack to set the probe into.

Chew carefully and don't let your meat loaf.

mikecorn.1

Just my two cent opinion. I could very wrong :). Wouldn't you want to mount or hang the probe below the lowest rack to get a true temp reading. I would imagine that it would be off by having it right on the wall and off to the side. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

Caneyscud

Its all relative - My dear Watson.

The direct heat trailer we have - it can cook four pigs if not too big, and if we would rig up some sort of shelf to hold two over two - but we don't do whole hogs so we haven't.  That means the cooking chamber is quite large and the top is 2 foot or more over the grill rack.  Up near the top is where we have the thermometer mounted.  Not the best place to mount a thermo - but when you get used to it, it's no problem.  I know if the thermo reads 200 or so, I know grill level is 230 to 250.   Same as with the Rotisserie - It's not as high up in the cooking chamber, but I like to keep it a little cooler, because I know the meat will rotate through that zone as well as the hot zone nearest the fire pit - and all will be evened out.  I like to have the thermometers outta the way and deal with the difference between the rack and the thermometer location. 
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

ragweed

Thanks for all of the input, folks.  But to clear things up, I'm looking for a remote MEAT thermometer.  So I don't have to open the door to check the temp of the meat I'm smoking.  LEM Products has one that I think will work.  Is the Bradley thermometer for cabin temp or meat temp?

BTW it's 5° F here in NE this am and my OBS is maintaining 235°F just fine!

Thanks again for the feedback!

Ragweed

KyNola

Whether you are running a wire in for a meat thermometer or cooking temp probe or both, you can simply close the door on the wire(s).  I do it all the time with minimal, if any, smoke loss.  There will still be plenty of smoke in the tower.

mikecorn.1

Quote from: ragweed on December 06, 2011, 07:04:30 AM
Thanks for all of the input, folks.  But to clear things up, I'm looking for a remote MEAT thermometer.  So I don't have to open the door to check the temp of the meat I'm smoking.  LEM Products has one that I think will work.  Is the Bradley thermometer for cabin temp or meat temp?

BTW it's 5° F here in NE this am and my OBS is maintaining 235°F just fine!

Thanks again for the feedback!

Ragweed
As posted by GusRobin earlier, you can't go wrong with the Maverick et732 or you can save a bit of $ by going with the older model et73.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

Fernslinger

I run my meat thermometer through the vent and stick the unit to the side of the box.

mrjamessaitta

Many people buy a remote smoker thermometer such as the Thermopro TP20 for their grill and best air fryer.

TedEbear