I'm confused about the digital smokers

Started by crapshooter, August 05, 2019, 01:29:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crapshooter

Nearly every review I read it's great, yet on here it seems like most everyone is having problems with them.  Do you all recommend them or something else?

Toker

manxman

Agree with Toker, for me original is best ideally with a PID.
Manxman

watchdog56

I have a 6rack digital and like it. I also use a pid because I make sausage and it keeps my temps +/- 2 degree. Without it my temp swing would be +/- 20 degree. If you are doing anything but sausage there really is no need for a pid in my opinion. With the digital
you can set the temp and let it go.

dubob

If you are going to buy/use a PID, you do NOT need the digital.  I know because I have a 4-rack digital w/ a PID.  I should have bought the OBS.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 77 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men don't ask permission to bear arms." ― Glen Aldrich
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." ― Dr. Seuss

Edward176

The reason why you hear so many negative comments here is that whenever you have an issue/problem with your smoker you come here and post it for help. There is so much knowledge here that someone has experienced a similar issue and has resolved it. You never hear from the 1000's of people who bought their smoker and come on line to brag how well its working, not news worthy :)
I too have a digital 6 rack, and a PID, AND LOVE IT (almost 6 years now). I'd buy another one if and when mine gives up the ghost. 

dubob

Since Edwards post SEEMS to be directed at me, let me clarify my remarks.  I have been using my digital smoker for about 7 or 8 years.  I bought the PID about 6 years ago.  The PID that I bought removes the digital part of the smoker from the functionality of the system,  The digital portion of the smoker is an unused redundant function that costs more than the OBS.  So my recommendation for anybody that fully intends to use a PID to control the heat and time functions is needlessly spending more money than they need to if they buy a digital smoker.  My digital has never failed to operate before or after the addition of the PID.  It has produced many good cooks for 8 years, both with and without the PID.  I have no complaints with either.  They both works as advertised.  If I have to replace the smoker in the future, it will be with an OBS because using it with a PID doesn't require any of the more expensive digital functions.  I hope this clarifies my earlier comments for everybody. 
Bob Hicks, from Utah
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." ― Dr. Seuss

Edward176

My comment was for crapshooter and not directed to you dubob (no criticism intended nor implied). I simply answered crapshooters question and then stated that I'm happy with my digital and PID, and that I would replace my Bradley with another Bradley, probably a OBS for the reasons you stated, if and when the time comes.
Cheers   

dubob

Quote from: Edward176 on August 06, 2019, 01:15:38 PM
My comment was for crapshooter and not directed to you dubob (no criticism intended nor implied). I simply answered crapshooters question and then stated that I'm happy with my digital and PID, and that I would replace my Bradley with another Bradley, probably a OBS for the reasons you stated, if and when the time comes.
Cheers
Got it; thanks.   ;D
Bob Hicks, from Utah

crapshooter

Quote from: dubob on August 06, 2019, 07:14:06 PM
Quote from: Edward176 on August 06, 2019, 01:15:38 PM
Cheers
Got it; thanks.   ;D
Do you have to have a PID? and what exactly is it?

Edward176

crapshooter, No you don't have to have a PID controller. A P.I.D. is a "Proportional–Integral–Derivative" controller (PID controller or three-term controller) is a control loop mechanism employing feedback that is widely used in industrial control systems and a variety of other applications requiring continuously modulated control.
It simply controls the temperature to a very tight +/- temperature swing of 1-2°F while your home oven and your smoker can have a temperature swing of +/- 20°F. Most of us ran our Bradley for years without a PID and were happy. Since I started making and smoking Salmon, sausage and snack sticks I needed a tighter temperature fluctuation, thus the PID.
Try it first as it is and experiment. Enjoy.