Author Topic: Help on getting started  (Read 341 times)

Offline Old Texan

Help on getting started
« on: August 08, 2019, 02:51:54 pm »
I bought an original 4 rack several years ago along with an Auber WS. After only a couple of uses the smoker was stolen and just now going to get another. I have looked at several types online and so far the only thing I've decided is that it will be a Bradley. I still have my Auber but no instructions at all with it.  We moved a few years ago and I assume they got lost in the move somehow.
So I'm basically a newbie with a desire to get set up.  Any advise would be appreciated. Also is that auber out of date now with newer ones easier to use?  I remember having problems getting it setup before.

Offline cathouse willy

Re: Help on getting started
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2019, 06:05:52 pm »
You didn't say which ws model you have but the manuals are on Auberins web site, here.

https://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=page&id=34

Offline Old Texan

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2019, 07:33:40 pm »
My smoker is due to arrive tomorrow. What's the easiest thing to start with?  Why do I have to keep putting in the verification information just to post?

Offline Habanero Smoker

• Member Extraordinaire
  • KCBS - Master Certified Barbecue Judge
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2019, 02:22:03 am »
Hi Old Texan;

The verification is to make sure you are not a spammer. After about your tenth login you will no longer have to verify.

I believe the easiest meat to start with and to get gratification back the soonest would be either a small pork loin, or a couple of tenderloins, or chicken parts. These cuts are easy to prepare, and only take a few hours to smoke/roast. When smoking chicken with skin on, keep the Bradley top vent 3/4 to fully opened.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Offline Old Texan

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2019, 04:10:56 pm »
Is there a topic that tells when you should run the smoke when cooking the various meats?  Do you smoke it first or wait until it's finishing up?

Offline cathouse willy

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2019, 04:58:02 pm »
Cooked food won't absorb much smoke so when the oven and the smoke generator have preheated put in the food and start your smoke., I like SMOKEY stuff and I find 2-3 hrs is plenty.

Offline Old Texan

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2019, 06:23:48 pm »
okay thank you

Offline Orion

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2019, 09:12:07 pm »
Ribs are easy. Silver skin off, rub on, fridge 24 hours, warm ribs on counter 1 hour, preheat smoker and burner to 230. Ribs in, 3 hours smoke, change water bowl, 2 hours more heat, sauce ribs and 1 more hour. Test for done and go from there.
It's going to take a lifetime to smoke all this.

Offline Habanero Smoker

• Member Extraordinaire
  • KCBS - Master Certified Barbecue Judge
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2019, 02:50:43 am »
I have a different opinion about smoke. There is smoke penetration, and smoke adhesion. Smoke penetration creates a chemical reaction on the surface of the meat, and can penetrate into the meat generally to 1/8" depth to as much as a 1/4".  Once the surface of the meat reaches 140°F, penetration no longer occurs. If the surface is still moist, smoke will continue to adhere to the surface.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)