Hello from Missouri

Started by Stugg, August 14, 2019, 08:42:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stugg

I'm new to smokers and am looking at a used four rack Bradley Original Smoker. It looks to be in good shape from the photos. Any advice on things to check before buying it?

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Habanero Smoker

Hi Stugg;

Welcome to the forum.

Hopefully you are able to physically look at it. Look for any signs of dents/misuse, and check to make sure the door seal fits properly. Open the door and make sure that moves freely. While the door is opened, check the conditions of the racks (is chrome plating intact, and not rusting), drip tray (V-tray), bowl, and bottom tray. Make sure you have both power cords

There are two different styles of the Original. If it is the one with the temperature adjustment underneath the door, looks for cracks in the plastic housing at that location; if there are any it can be repaired with a food safe silicone sealer - but keep in mind Bradley no longer makes that part. Any cracks in that area can allow moisture to enter, and short out the circuit board.

Turn it on and let it run for around a half hour. Check to make sure the element turns a bright read, and the generator engages and automatically advances. Also push the advance button a few times. This may take over an hour, so the seller may not have that much time to spend. These are a few things that can be checked, but you never know how it will function during a long cook.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Stugg

I will be examining it in person before buying, and will check the items you mentioned. Thank you for the detailed list!