Help on getting started

Started by Old Texan, August 08, 2019, 02:51:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Texan

I bought an original 4 rack several years ago along with an Auber WS. After only a couple of uses the smoker was stolen and just now going to get another. I have looked at several types online and so far the only thing I've decided is that it will be a Bradley. I still have my Auber but no instructions at all with it.  We moved a few years ago and I assume they got lost in the move somehow.
So I'm basically a newbie with a desire to get set up.  Any advise would be appreciated. Also is that auber out of date now with newer ones easier to use?  I remember having problems getting it setup before.

cathouse willy

You didn't say which ws model you have but the manuals are on Auberins web site, here.

https://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=page&id=34

Old Texan

My smoker is due to arrive tomorrow. What's the easiest thing to start with?  Why do I have to keep putting in the verification information just to post?

Habanero Smoker

Hi Old Texan;

The verification is to make sure you are not a spammer. After about your tenth login you will no longer have to verify.

I believe the easiest meat to start with and to get gratification back the soonest would be either a small pork loin, or a couple of tenderloins, or chicken parts. These cuts are easy to prepare, and only take a few hours to smoke/roast. When smoking chicken with skin on, keep the Bradley top vent 3/4 to fully opened.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Old Texan

Is there a topic that tells when you should run the smoke when cooking the various meats?  Do you smoke it first or wait until it's finishing up?

cathouse willy

Cooked food won't absorb much smoke so when the oven and the smoke generator have preheated put in the food and start your smoke., I like SMOKEY stuff and I find 2-3 hrs is plenty.

Old Texan

Orion

Ribs are easy. Silver skin off, rub on, fridge 24 hours, warm ribs on counter 1 hour, preheat smoker and burner to 230. Ribs in, 3 hours smoke, change water bowl, 2 hours more heat, sauce ribs and 1 more hour. Test for done and go from there.
It's going to take a lifetime to smoke all this.

Habanero Smoker

I have a different opinion about smoke. There is smoke penetration, and smoke adhesion. Smoke penetration creates a chemical reaction on the surface of the meat, and can penetrate into the meat generally to 1/8" depth to as much as a 1/4".  Once the surface of the meat reaches 140°F, penetration no longer occurs. If the surface is still moist, smoke will continue to adhere to the surface.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)