Author Topic: Cold smoked bacon - Smoke times?  (Read 376 times)

Offline Ginslee

Re: Cold smoked bacon - Smoke times?
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2019, 03:18:59 am »
Thanks for the explanation :)

All that's left to do is wait a few more days and then it's time for that first smoke   :D
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 03:28:14 am by Ginslee »

Offline Habanero Smoker

• Member Extraordinaire
  • KCBS - Master Certified Barbecue Judge
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2019, 01:14:53 pm »
Let us know how it turns out.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Offline Ginslee

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2019, 08:51:03 am »
Hey Habanero,

Wonder if you had any advise on the following. So the belly has been curing for 8 out of the 10 days and it's pretty firm all over except one of the corner tips feels fairly soft.

Should I just let it go to day 10 and not worry about it or add more salt to the soft area? The fridge has been running at 36.68F by the way.

thanks!
« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 08:53:48 am by Ginslee »

Offline Habanero Smoker

• Member Extraordinaire
  • KCBS - Master Certified Barbecue Judge
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2019, 01:59:41 pm »
You are running you refrigerator more than 1 degree lower than my refrigerator , and lower temperatures will slow down the curing. Since you used an equilibrium cure, it wouldn't hurt to cure them a few more days. I'm surprised the corners are soft. The corners generally firm up quick, because they are receiving salt from four sides. If it is just a small portions of the corners I wouldn't worry about it, it may just be extra layers of fat in those areas. I won't add additional salt.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Offline Ginslee

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2019, 01:33:41 am »
It only seems to be one of the corners. I'll keep an eye on it as the rest feels nice and firm. I'm pulling it out on Day 12.

I'll post the results here 8)

Offline Ginslee

« Reply #20 on: Today at 04:17:40 am »
Hey Habanero,

So I removed the belly from the fridge today and rinsed it with water. Then I cut off a piece and fried it. The salt/Sugar levels seemed fine although the smell is more of a piggy smell than the bacon smell I get when I fry store bought. Other than that it seems to taste ok, nothing special though. Does smoking bring out that real bacon smell?

If I were to do a taste test between store/this bit of Cured and unsmoked bacon the store bought would probably win. I hope smoking it will make it a bit more special!