Power stays on even when unit turned off

Started by Akropaul, August 16, 2019, 03:22:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Akropaul

I did a dual element upgrade and everything worked great but I pinched a wire and eventually it heated up and shorted out.The back fuse blew.Now I fixed wiring and replaced fuse,but as soon as I plug in power goes to the heaters even though unit is turned off.Temperature control is not working either.I believe I damaged my power supply unit.Any thoughts?
Digital 4 rack smoker.

Habanero Smoker

Hi Akropaul;

Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear about your problem.

More information is needed for us to help you trouble shoot.

1- Did you wire the elements separately to the power source, or use the piggy-back method to connect the two elements?

2- Are you using a third party temperature controller such as a PID, or are you using the digital generator to control both elements?

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Akropaul

I used the piggy back method and using the Bradley digital generator.

Habanero Smoker

I wouldn't have a clue what could be the problem, but it does seem like the problem is caused by something that has gone wrong in the generator.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Akropaul

Seems to me to be a relay or something electronic has gotten stuck or burnt in the open or closed position depending on howthe circuit is wired.Glad I noticed it as I walked away acame back after 20 minutes of shutting it off.Could have been a fire.I will call Bradley for a new circuit board,hopefully they sell them.

Habanero Smoker

Bradley does sell them. It's very fortunate that you caught the problem. The generator has a couple of safety features that will shut off the power; such as if it is not receiving a reading from the temperature sensor, or the advance system is not functioning. I'm surprised to hear the cabinet was receiving power when the panel did not work.

I
         don't
                   inhale.