deflector

Started by kamano, August 18, 2019, 08:33:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kamano

Aloha again

I have been looking for a deflector all day an no where can I find a deflector. (2 sites wont ship to Hawaii) Now I am up the creek without a deflector (yes pun intended)So, any problem solvers out there that know how to make one? I am off to Homedepot to by some galvanized sheets to try and make one. If it works, I will let you know.

Mahalo Nui Loa
Kamano :(

Orion

Do not use galvanized material in your smoker under any circumstances. It's about as far from food safe as you can get. Google metal supply shops in your area and buy a piece of aluminum sheeting. Shop will probably have a few end cuts or scrap you can get cheap. They should have a shear and cut the exact size you need.You can form your own brake using c clamps and 2 x 4s to put a few bends in it. A brake is the name given a sheet metal bender. Never galvanized.
It's going to take a lifetime to smoke all this.

Habanero Smoker

Bradley won't ship parts to Hawaii, or at least give you information about their distributors out there?

As mentioned galvanize metal is not safe to use due to the zinc coating. Aluminum is a better choice, but if you are going to pay to have one fabricated, go with stainless steel.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

manxman

I was going to suggest SS, my previous BS got damaged can't remember how (?moving house) and I had to replace the element, ceramic mounts and deflector. Got a spare element and mounts easily but not a deflector so made one of sorts out of stainless steel sheet from a faulty cooker extractor hood, not as neat as the original but did the job. Bradley UK did get me a genuine replacement in the end however but it kept me going for quite a while.
Manxman

TedEbear

Did you try Yard and Pool?

Bradley Smoker Replacement Heat Element Reflector

If they will not ship to HI and you cannot make one, I can order one (or however many you want), have it sent to me and I will ship it to you for whatever the total cost is to me.  Our daughter lives in HI and we send her things all the time.

kamano

Mahalo everyone for the advice!  Actually, I was told by Homedepot that it would not be safe to use....but I did fine some very thin SS sheet from one of the houses that is being built here. The owner had a few pieces that he let me have....it is almost as thin as the original.

I have bent sheet metal in the past so, this might work. If not... Tedbear I will gladly accept your offer to ship to me. Also, I will be calling Bradley tomorrow...to late to call now.

Mahalo
Kamano

kamano

To all the reply's!

Mahalo for your help and advice. I was able to contact Bradley and they will mail the reflector to me. I have one of the first smokers and it has always worked well here in Hawaii. But, yes it does take time to get to temp. I am going to modify it with a 900w or the double element. So, I ordered 2 reflectors in the event I screw one up...(fat ego and small brain....as my wife for 42 years of marriage would say)
Again
Mahalo and Aloha.

manxman

Good news indeed, happy smoking.  :)
Manxman

Habanero Smoker

Good to hear. Good idea to get two. I remember I screwed up my first reflector.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)