Brisket time

Started by watchdog56, August 20, 2019, 05:26:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

watchdog56

I have a 11 lb brisket I plan on doing Saturday evening and was wondering how long I should allow. We have our fantasy football draft at 10;00AM Sunday morning and plan to eat after the draft. I have the 6 rack digital and plan on cooking at 250 but not sure how long it will take. So what would be a good time to start the brisket?

Northofthe49

Play it by ear, I just finished up a 14lb one on the weekend and it took me 15hrs + 1 hr rest and it came out beautifully

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Habanero Smoker

I would give it the standard 1.5 hour per pound. If it is done early FTC it until you are ready to serve. If you are running behind schedule, wrap it in foil and finish cooking it at 325°F in the kitchen oven. The higher finishing temperature is not going to harm it. A lot of BBQ competitors are cooking their briskets hot & fast from start to finish; between 325°F - 350°F, and the brisket is moist and tender. Of course they do inject.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

TedEbear

1.5-2 hours per lb is the general rule.  Some people like to cook them ahead of time and reheat on the day/time they want it to be ready.  That's how I would do it.  I think it tastes better the next day anyway.

Northofthe49

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on August 20, 2019, 01:12:13 PM
I would give it the standard 1.5 hour per pound. If it is done early FTC it until you are ready to serve. If you are running behind schedule, wrap it in foil and finish cooking it at 325°F in the kitchen oven. The higher finishing temperature is not going to harm it. A lot of BBQ competitors are cooking their briskets hot & fast from start to finish; between 325°F - 350°F, and the brisket is moist and tender. Of course they do inject.
Is there a advantage or disadvantage to cooking at a higher temperature?

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Habanero Smoker

There are some precautions you need to take, such as injecting, foiling and getting the timing right. Here is a link to Myron Mixon Hot and Fast Brisket. He cooks at 300°F, but some competitor are using higher temperature and shorter times. I've made Myron's brisket a couple of times on one of my charcoal cookers, and both times they came out real good. I don't have my notes, but the second time I used this method I didn't go by 2.5 hours, I went to a certain temperature before wrapping it, and it came out better than the first one. I have an old wool Army blanket that I use for the last step, but the FTC method may work just as well.

The advantages are it seems more moist, it take less time, and the cook times are more consistent.

The disadvantage is that you must inject, and you have to monitor the cook a little more closely.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

watchdog56

When I put the rub on for overnight in the frig should I wrap it in cello or leave it open to the air?

Habanero Smoker

For an overnight rub, I like to wrap it tightly in plastic. Initially the salt will draw moisture out, but after a short period it will begin to draw moisture back in. So if you wrap it tight in plastic wrap, that keeps any drawn out moisture in contact with the meat, and that it will mostly be drawn back into the meat.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

watchdog56

Edward176

I have a 8.865 kg (19.5lbs) Prime packer brisket from Costco which my wife picked up at $9.99 kg ($4.54/lb) She said she just couldn't walk away from that price. Anyway, I was planning on making it for Sunday dinner and was wondering if I should separate the Flat from the Point and smoke them separated? Or just trim it up and smoke it whole? I was planning on Smoking the brisket on Friday or Saturday, wrap it foil/Towel and just reheat on Sunday? Any suggestions or advise would be appreciated. Thank You

Habanero Smoker

I feel that is a personal preference. I don't usually find whole packers in my area, but when I do and I'm cooking brisket for someone, I don't separate. Keep in mind I do most of my barbequing in one of my charcoal cookers/smoker. I place the probe in the thickest part of the flat at the area where it meets the point.  To me they come out more moist, so if the 8 pounder fits on the rack, my preference would be to keep in whole.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Edward176

Thanks Hab, I always appreciate your input. But it's a 8.8 kg Brisket (19.5 lbs). I will have to do some trimming and shaping to get it to fit on one rack. I'll trim it so it'll fit and then smoke it as planned on Friday or Saturday. 

Habanero Smoker

Oh! I missed reading the 19 pounds.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Edward176

LOL, no problem. My wife said she picked the smallest one that they had since it was larger then most that I buy. Either way it'll turn out good.