Replacement Door Seal

Started by TedEbear, September 10, 2019, 10:13:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TedEbear

Does anyone know if the door seal for the OBS BTIS1 is supposed to be the same size as the one for the newer BS611?  I cannot find a replacement seal for my OBS and Yard and Pool only sells ones for the BS611 and digital models. 

Thinking mine might be the same as the newer BS611 seal, I ordered one from them last week.  I just started installing it and discovered that it is about 1" longer than the seal on my OBS.  I am wondering if they sent me the wrong seal or if it really is a different size.

If they are different, does anyone know who might still sell a door seal for the OBS BTIS1?  My Google search did not find anything.   :(

Habanero Smoker

I believe the BTIS1 door is a different size than the BS611. The only thing I can think of is to contact Bradley, or post on Craig's list.

It's a shame that Bradley has abandoned the BTIS1. There has to be more than enough out there to justify the continuation of suppling parts.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

TedEbear

Yes, the smoker itself work fine but it was looking pretty sad.  I did some things recently to make it look better and I figured as long as I had various things apart I might as well replace the door seal.  I could probably get by with the one that's on there now if I had to. 

I emailed Bradley customer support just now.  Thanks for the tip.

TedEbear

I received a quick email reply from Bradley yesterday and they said to call their customer service, which I did a few minutes ago.  They still sell the door seal for my OBS and are sending me one.  It was $18.99, including shipping.  Pretty good deal.   :)

Edward176

You gotta love Bradley's customer service, never fails to come through...

Habanero Smoker

I
         don't
                   inhale.

TedEbear

I received the new door seal from Bradley and this one fits.  Replacing that was the final step when I decided a few weeks ago to do something about my 9 year old OBS that was slowly falling apart.

The plastic faceplate for the temp slide control on the bottom was cracked and part of it was missing, even though I had done the foot mod to take pressure off it. It no longer served any purpose because I have an Auber PID controller in the SG.  Since I could not find a replacement I decided to just get rid of it. I made a plate to cover the large hole where the control wires used to pass through.  I kept the little red LED, just because it was there.   :)  It will still light whenever the elements are energized. I switched from pucks to an A-MAZE-N pellet tube several years ago and it works great. 

The hinges had broken long ago and I was using regular door hinges from Home Depot.  They worked pretty well but I removed them, dressed them up a bit on a grinder and painted them.

The door had some white streaks from a chemical cleaning I had once done to it so I masked off some things and spray painted it.  I wish I had taken a "before" pic but it really looked sad. It still has a cracked upper left corner but that piece is only available with a complete door and I was told when I ordered the seal that they no longer sell the door.

After 9 years of bear hugging the smoker in and out of the basement whenever I wanted to smoke something I bought a little cart for it. It has wire shelves so I cut and stained a piece of wood for more stability for the Bradley feet.

Anyway, just about everything I did was cosmetic but I was getting tired of looking at the thing and I decided I could get some more life out of it with a little TLC.  I'll be smoking another "OMG! that is fabulous" brisket tomorrow. It is based on a couple of recipes here on the forum.

Edward176

Very impressive TedEbear, Glad it all worked out for you. Keep On Smoking...

Habanero Smoker

Nice refurbish job. It looks great!!

I
         don't
                   inhale.

manxman

Manxman