Old smoker with the temperature slider

Started by KDX, October 11, 2019, 10:22:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KDX

I have one of the original 4 rack smokers with the sliding temperature adjustment and was thinking of getting a Inkbird ITC-308 controller for it. Is it compatible with this old smoker, or do they only work with the newer ones with the temp controller on the smoke generator? I was thinking of buying a digital smoker, but this one has served me well. Another question.....does adding a fan (which one?) work well? I'm starting to make smokies more often (5 pound batches) and was smoking them in the Bradley and finishing them in the oven but the house stinks for days and I want to avoid that. Thanks in advance.

Habanero Smoker

It will work with the Old Original Bradley. Keep in mind that the maximum temperature for the Inkbird ITC-308 is 210°F. With either Bradley model you plug the cabinet directly into the Inkbird - by passing the generator.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

KDX

Thanks for the reply. Is there another Inkbird that would be better to get?

Habanero Smoker

I'm know more about controllers for charcoal and wood burning pits, and haven't kept up on the latest controllers for electric smokers. There is a electric controller on Amazon that will control and electrical device up to 572°F, for about $10 more. I know that is overkill for the Bradley, but with that controller you can also use it for an electric roaster, crockpot or a lot of different heating appliances.

WILLHI WH-1803B High Temperature Controller
If you get the same page display as I do, you will see a number of other controllers displayed on that page.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

KDX

Thanks. Where is the best place to put the temperature probe in the cabinet?

edit to add....I ordered one of these
DIGITEN Digital Thermostat Outlet Controller Switch Simple-stage Plug LCD Temperature Control Heating and Cooling

Habanero Smoker

For the Bradley I find that the best location is the bottom rack. My probe has an alligator clip so I clip mine on the bottom rail, toward the front of the cabinet, on the left side. I run my wire through the door opening.

You may want to experiment. Placing the probe in between racks, you will get a much lower temperature, which can cause the bottom rack to cook much too quickly.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Gafala

I have a 4 rack digital and I use a Auber PID and two Auber AT 210A one meat thermos and one  alligator clip like Habanero Smoker at the end of the smoke and cook I also use a ETEKCITY  infrared thermometer to check final temp.
Bradley 4 rack Digital, 900 watt, Auber PID
Bradley cold smoke adapter
Char-Griller Smoking Pro BBQ Smoker with rotisserie
Brinkman Bullet Smoker
Weber 24"
Custom Hard Cure Cabinet for Salami
One Auber Master Temp monitor and two remotes with probes, up to ten remotes can be used.

KDX

Thanks for the info gentlemen. Would it be worthwhile to add a fan? If so, what should I get?

Habanero Smoker

I never installed a fan so couldn't give you any information on that. The posts about adding a fan are mixed, but there have been a few positive post on the fan that Auber sells.

I
         don't
                   inhale.