Help on texture issue

Started by TMB, October 28, 2019, 09:06:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TMB

Been making breafast sausage for awhile but can't seen to get the texture I want.       Mine always seem to be tough. 

Looking to make texture like store bought or even like Burger King's  sausage.   I use 80/20 pork (10 lbs) then mix in another 2 lbs fat to help but it is still not correct.

I grind with the large plate then grind smaller plate 3.0 mm I think then I stuff into bags

Any ideas would be welcome!

Live, ride, eat well and thank God!

Sausage Master

Sounds like you are doing everything correctly.  If your finished product is tough, you may be overmixing when you add your seasonings.

I use straight pork butt material, grind once through the chili plate, then add my seasonings.  Regrind through the hamburger plate, and then package.  I try to keep the meat under 50 degrees all through the process.
Charles (Chuck) Freeland
The Sausage Master
Phone: 405-397-1084 Fax: 888-547-7993
Email: [email protected]

TMB

Quote from: Sausage Master on October 28, 2019, 09:49:56 AM
Sounds like you are doing everything correctly.  If your finished product is tough, you may be overmixing when you add your seasonings.

I use straight pork butt material, grind once through the chili plate, then add my seasonings.  Regrind through the hamburger plate, and then package.  I try to keep the meat under 50 degrees all through the process.
I do trim the butts myself and wind up grinding 3 grinds.          First grind is to get the large cuts down in size ,  Second grind is to get the meat down to where I think the texture should be then Thrid grind and possible problem I mix  in the seasoning then grind to mix it up then I stuff.

Should I pureĢe the meat like hotdogs??

TMB

Just doing a bit of reshearch and found 1/4 tsp of baking soda works.   Anyone try this ?

Sausage Master

TMB, that third grind may be what is getting you.  Definitely do not puree.  Try a 5 lb. batch grinding thru the chili plate, add your seasonings, hand mix them in, and then grind thru the hamburger plate.  I think you will see the difference.
Charles (Chuck) Freeland
The Sausage Master
Phone: 405-397-1084 Fax: 888-547-7993
Email: [email protected]

manxman

Been following this thread with interest given I make quite a lot of breakfast sausage and can't see anything wrong as such with your method TMB.

For what it is worth I typically use a 2:1 lean pork: pork fat mix and grind twice through an 8 mm plate which gives the coarseness I like putting the first grind in the freezer for around an hour to keep it cold as Sausage Maker indicates before the second grind. I continuously sprinkle seasoning / yeast less breadcrumbs / water as appropriate as the meat comes out from the second grind then mix and knead thoroughly by hand, something the local butcher advised as he reckons you end up with a better texture and mix than a third grind. (over mixing?) This is again left for an hour or so in the freezer to allow the mix to cool and settle before the sausages are stuffed, I tried several different casings before arriving at one that wasn't too tough or chewy for my liking.

Crucially this same commercial butcher told me to leave the finished product for 24 hours before eating to improve the texture, he always does this before putting his sausages on display and I did notice an improvement.

Maybe given you a couple of ideas to fine tune your process TMB?

Manxman

TMB

Quote from: manxman on October 30, 2019, 06:20:24 AM
Been following this thread with interest given I make quite a lot of breakfast sausage and can't see anything wrong as such with your method TMB.

For what it is worth I typically use a 2:1 lean pork: pork fat mix and grind twice through an 8 mm plate which gives the coarseness I like putting the first grind in the freezer for around an hour to keep it cold as Sausage Maker indicates before the second grind. I continuously sprinkle seasoning / yeast less breadcrumbs / water as appropriate as the meat comes out from the second grind then mix and knead thoroughly by hand, something the local butcher advised as he reckons you end up with a better texture and mix than a third grind. (over mixing?) This is again left for an hour or so in the freezer to allow the mix to cool and settle before the sausages are stuffed, I tried several different casings before arriving at one that wasn't too tough or chewy for my liking.

Crucially this same commercial butcher told me to leave the finished product for 24 hours before eating to improve the texture, he always does this before putting his sausages on display and I did notice an improvement.

Maybe given you a couple of ideas to fine tune your process TMB?
Yes sir give me ides to try Thanks!