Getting dialed in.ons

Started by Alusardi, November 18, 2019, 12:41:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alusardi

Hey all,  Here in s Florida we are having a cold front so I am taking advantage of the cold temps (50 F ) to take another stab at smoking some cheese. My first batch was a challenge because it was hot out. Although the smoker never got above 95 I knew it wasn't were it was supposed to be. The batch I made today I was able to keep the temp at 70/75 degrees F.  I put a 4 hour smoke on and now I just have to wait 4-6 weeks to see how it turned out. 
Tomorrow morning it's supposed to be in the 50's so I have a batch of salmon fillets in a dry brine ready to get an early start. I will post pics today and tomorrow.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0tLlNnkRiFyZ0pNzB99j_40Ww#Vero_Beach_-_Indian_River_Farms

If you have been touched by an angel please tell an adult !

Lou

Doug in Alaska

You'll do best cold smoking cheese for only two hours.  Pull it out of the smoker (I prefer apple pucks) and place the cheese (on the racks) on the counter in your kitchen for two hours.  After two hours, transfer it to your refrigerator, on the racks.  The following day, vacuum pack it and store it in the refrigerator for at least six weeks before test tasting.  I also cold smoke at a temperature between 65 and 70 degrees, don't know if these smoking temps are possible in your area.  Just ask my granddaughter and she will tell you this is the best cheese on the planet!

Edward176

I also smoke my cheeses for 2 hours and let them rest and cool down. After a day or two in the fridge I vacuum seal them and back into the fridge. I have some vacuumed cheese that is over a year old and still great tasting. 

manxman

Smoking time is very much personnel preference, when I first smoked cheese I tried 2,3,4 and 5 hours settling on 4 after getting half a dozen people to sample the various offerings!  :) However that was for a strong flavoured mature cheddar, milder cheeses tend to benefit from a lighter smoke IMHO.
Manxman