New Smoker Issues Need Help

Started by appalachiangunslinger, December 17, 2019, 12:07:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

appalachiangunslinger

Just got the smoker less than a week ago. Noticed that there where issues with it out of the box with the rheostat turning without any resistance. Anyhow got a replacement from Bradley and they gaveme a whole new controller. I installed both and ensured the smoke box fuse was functional. The original knob was broken and when pulling off the knob the metal post came out of rheostat.

Now during a teat run I found that the the knob did indeed turn as possible didnt meter to ensure proper function.As before the heater plate works and heats. Max temp is around 150. The upper light on control box doesnt function didnt meter but checked connections. The heating element doesnt function. Meter in my barn and it was raining so I just plugged it in the wall directly. The element heats when plugged in. Where should I go with troubleshooting. Or should I just call Bradley and have them just send a new unit as this hasn't worked out of the box and I am abit upset that they expected me to do the repair instead of just sending me a new smoke generator and a return postage  for mine. I get warranty items but brand new out of box. This is getting ridiculous here and just want it to work to cook up my Venison. thanks.

manxman

If it were me I would reject the whole unit entirely given it is straight out of the box and request a replacement plus cost of returning the faulty one. It is unreasonable to expect a customer to carry out any repairs on a brand new item other than than something very simple, basic and quick.

Bradley are usually good to respond positively in such cases, let us know how you get on?

p.s. welcome to the forum.
Manxman

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: manxman on December 17, 2019, 12:27:25 AM
If it were me I would reject the whole unit entirely given it is straight out of the box and request a replacement plus cost of returning the faulty one. It is unreasonable to expect a customer to carry out any repairs on a brand new item other than than something very simple, basic and quick.

Bradley are usually good to respond positively in such cases, let us know how you get on?

p.s. welcome to the forum.

I agree.

appalachiangunslinger,
It seems like your rheostat hasn't worked from the beginning. If the top pilot light works the same as the pilot light in the old original, the light should be very dim at the lowest power, the increase in brightness as then power is increased. If that light is off, and/or doesn't increase in brightness you have a bad rheostat.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

appalachiangunslinger

Rheostats was replaced along with the main control board. I have a feeling the main led is showing the heater working in the main box. Trying to call Bradley now. If I cannot get a replacement then O guess I will either return to the store or try to possibly just take a few hours which I really dont have and meter every damn thing. frustrafkr this to be like this out of the box. Guess this is what I get for gettign a unit at half off during the holidays...

appalachiangunslinger

Called Bradley this morning. They are going to replace the generator. They will teat it at the factory to ensure its working and send to me along with a box of briquettes for my trouble. Since the heating element heated when I plugged it in directly they are going to hold off on it unless there is some other issue. Which I was concerned about the temperature switch in the unit preventing it turning on. I think I will wait until it arrives to troubleshoot further. I may go ahead and meter some of the smokers itself items like the heating element and temperature sensor, fuse to ensure there is not an issue there. They didnt ask for the other generator may use the box once I get ready to do the PIR mods on it and just take out the the items and use for spares as well as have one I can cut up to add controller and switch for on and off etc.. An led is easy to add as well. I prefer having all items in a single box myself to keep it neater not that it really matters.

Can someone point me to the troubleshooting and meter values for the unit as well as what mods are being done. I have seen the dual PIR with separate box, a picture of a moded smoke generator with a single PaiR controller built in and someone adding a fan for it. I am also going to start to work kn a stand for it out of pallets, so if anyone has any links or builds for even a cabinet using similar materials it would be very helpful. My TBI from military service makes all thsi stuff just so much more difficult to find and do.  I want to learn to use it first before doing anything as this is a totally new concept for me,  thanks.