Started by Old man Louisiana, December 30, 2019, 05:28:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old man Louisiana

Hey old man Louisiana here. Just given a Bradley digital smoker that wasn't working. Po said it was the heating element. Ohm on old element is 29. New element is 33. When I plug the oven in straight to power no sg I trip my 20 amp breaker. Non gfi   no visible wire problems. I can plug in sg by itself and no tripping?  Opened the back panel and when I apply power it pops down by the main plug inside of oven. Help. Hope i put this in the right place.

Orion

Welcome! Sounds like there is a short circuit in your plug receptacle or in the wiring in the oven. Check your cable for integrity ( no shorts) and then check the receptacle at the back of the oven. There should be a fusible link in the wiring from the temperature sensor in the back of unit. Have a look at that while you're in there. Check wires feeding element for continuity and shorts to ground. Not sure what you mean by " popping" as there is no breaker within the oven. Others will chime in to help you. Goof luck and let us know how you make out.
It's going to take a lifetime to smoke all this.

Old man Louisiana

Thanks. The popping is my 20 amp breaker. Will check everything again. I read all the posts that deal with this problem. Thanks again Orion

Old man Louisiana

Orion, I disconnected the element and all three spade connections to the plug. With the power cord connected to the back of the oven it blows a spark out of it and trips the breaker. Thinking new power cord and plug. Any thoughts

Orion

Everything you have described suggests the receptacle on the rear wall of the smoker which supplies 120 Vac to the element is faulty. Somewhere in there there's is a short to ground or dead fault. I would suggest temporarily bypassing the receptacle to confirm this. If you bypass it and element works then you have isolated the issue. Do not jerry-rig your wiring and consider it fixed. There is a serious risk of fire if you do not ensure all connections are back to original standards and tested carefully. You should be able to source replacement parts from Bradley and put your smoker back to CSA standards.

Old man Louisiana

That's what I'm in the process of doing now. Waiting on parts. I have confirmed that the plug is shorted. And yes I want to go back to original wiring. Thanks for your help and time. Have a great new year

Orion

Good job. Glad it worked out. You'll enjoy your smoker and always help up here if you need it. Happy New Year .

Old man Louisiana

Just wanted to make sure b4. I plug anything in. Don't know if the po mixed up the wiring. Mine on the back of the oven panel has red as neutral white as line and earth is correct. Seems like red should be line because it has the fuse. Wish I could post a picture of it. But it won't let me.

Orion

Are you referring to the wires that use spade connectors to connect to the inner side of the plug receptacle? If so I'm not sure it will make any difference in operation or fusible link safety feature. Being alternating current polarity is not as important as long as ground is correct. Dont quote me though. I'm not in a position to remove my back panel right now. Maybe someone else is or can confirm the wiring requirements.

Old man Louisiana

Ok. Tried looking on the web but only shows pid upgrades. I'll call Bradley tomorrow. Stay warm

Old man Louisiana

Got my plug and new power cord. Installed all back to specs. Working well. Thanks again

Orion

That's great! You will be wanting to add another element to that unit once you start using it a lot.