over heat - ruined

Started by fisher_i_am, March 01, 2020, 03:27:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fisher_i_am

My bradley disappointed me today.  about 10 year old digital 4 rack smoker.  about 9 hours into my brisket and i went to check it and my temp the over said it was at 370 degree F, I had it set at 220.  the brisket was trashed and so was the smoker, surprised it did not start on fire.  wonder what happened?

My brisket and smoker are ruined.  anyone run into this or have any explanation?

Habanero Smoker

Hi fisher_i_am;

Sorry to welcome you to the forum under such circumstances.

This is unusual. Did you do any mods; such as add a second element. A single element shouldn't get the smoker up to that temperature. Was there any signs of a fire that may have extinguished itself by the time you checked it. If there are signs of a fire, fats from the brisket may have flowed down the backwall onto the element. Or the drip pan hole could have plugged up. If that happens grease will build up and catch on fire.

If you didn't add a second element, and there are no signs that there was a fire, you should bring this to the attention of Bradley. It appears there may have been a failure in either the sensor, or inline fuse or both.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

fisher_i_am

no mods, there must have been a fire?  only signs is that it got really hot so much it toasted my brisket to a puck and the bottom of the door is warped and the rubber seal is gone.

Habanero Smoker

That does sound like a fire that may have occurred around or under the drip pan.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

DavidRWaterloo

I had a similar problem with mine. I tried fixing the inline fuse but it still won't work. Is it possible to purchase just the box I wonder?

Habanero Smoker

Hi DavidRWaterloo;

Welcome to the forum.

I've never seen them sold separately new. You may be able to pick a used one up on eBay, or other sites that sell used products.

What model do you have? If the cabinet is in good shape, there are not that many parts to replace, so rebuilding one should be fairly easy. It's not clear if you had a fire. But other parts to check would be the temperature sensor, the wiring around the element, and the element itself.

I
         don't
                   inhale.