Cleaning the Temperature Sensor on Back Wall??

Started by FuBar, April 09, 2020, 10:02:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FuBar

Hi folks, how do you guys do a good clean on the temperature sensor that's on the back wall?  Yesterday I smoked 4 racks of tuna and it took a LONG time (over 7 hours). Today I am smoking more and decided to break out 2 other temp probes and place them down in the cabinet to see what they are reading.

Currently, the display on my 6-rack digital says the cabinet is at 160F. The smoker is set at 140. One of the additional temp probes is reading 129 and the other 130. Huge variance to what's been set, what the smoker says the temp is, and what the actual temp is. Both additional probes are hanging at the same level as the stock temp sensor.

I gave the stock temp sensor a wipe before I turned it on today and it's still reading 30 degrees hotter than actual temp. Any suggestions other than disregard the stock reading?

Cheers and smoke on!

Habanero Smoker

To clean the sensor use a heavy duty Scotch Bright (green type) cleaning pad. I cut the sheets into about 1.5" x 1.5" squares; it make it easier to clean with them. Use isopropyl alcohol as the cleaning agent, and wipe with a paper towel. I also use this method to clean my probes. Just remember when cleaning the probes never hold the probe by the wire when cleaning. Holding it by the wire you may accidently pull the wire loose.

As for your variation in temperatures, other then the sensor known to have a 10°F to 15°F overshoot; 30 degrees over is not average. The placement of your third party probes, can effect the reading. If you have the probes in-between racks or too close to the meat, the temperature will be lower in those areas. That is generally caused by moisture evaporating from the meat and cooling the area around it. Also in-between rack, the circulation of heat is restricted.

An additional thought. Have you checked your third party probes for accuracy. If not it may be something to do. The below link instructs you on how to do that.

Boiling Water Calculator

Ice Bath Method

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

FuBar

Cheers Habs, solid advice as per usual. Regarding the 3rd party probes, I used 2 different ones and they were within a degree of each other. When I was testing, I had the smoker empty and the 2 probes were dangling right in front of the stock sensor. Granted, they were in the middle of the cabinet, not against the back wall. I'll do another test today after I get some cleaning supplies and clean the Bradley sensor. Cheers.

Habanero Smoker

Sounds like your third party probes are accurate. I hope cleaning the sensor works.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Smoker John

Great info, I need to look at my temp sensor as well
Bradley Digital 4 Rack
Bradley BS712