E1 Error

Started by jtheboston, April 19, 2020, 01:20:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jtheboston

Hi - I was given a Bradley Smoker (BTDS76P) as a gift in December of 2017. I was able to successfully use it around 5 times until it began displaying the E1 Error message in January of 2019 (just over a year later). At that point I contacted Bradley and they were able to send me a new digital interface for it. While we were waiting for this my wife bought us a Traeger. I installed the new interface but did not test it out until earlier this year. At this point the E1 message continued to flash on the screen - so I bought new cables hoping that would solve the issue, which it did not. I have tried using the sensor cord both ways as recommended in this forum and still it does not work. Are there any other suggestions? I want to be able to use this for cold smokes given my other smoker is unable to do that but it's been a pain in the ass and I am ready to throw it away given it's only worked 5 times in the past 2.5 years.

Any help or suggestions are welcomed in regards to getting this thing working!

Orion

Hello, that's frustrating for sure. I'm on my phone so can't insert the link but there is a detailed thread on this problem . If you go to the main menu and find the Bradley Digital Smokers category and go to the third page you will find a thread about half way down the third page. It's got 72,000 views so it must be of some use. Hope you get it straightened out.
It's going to take a lifetime to smoke all this.

Habanero Smoker

Hi jtheboston;

Welcome to the forum.

Check the female sockets  for any foreign objects that may prevent the plug from making a proper connection. Sometimes bits of plastic or other material may get lodged in there during production. Clean the tips of the sensor cords with steel wool or fine sand paper may also help. Also check to make sure the pin is present in the female socket.

One other thing you can do. While the generator is on and the "E1" error is displayed and beeping, check the connection by wiggling one side of the connection up and down and left to right, and then the other side. If the "E1" message temporally goes away while you were wiggling one side, you need a new sensor connector. 

If none of the above actions work, the E-1 error may be a bad connection to the temp sensor the connection is located in the back of the smoke tower remove the back of the smoker and check the connection.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

jtheboston

Thanks for the responses - I removed the back part of the tower and everything was connected and I found no problems (burnt wires, etc.). I will check the female part of the connector to see if that pin is missing on both sides tomorrow when I pull everything back out.  Both my old cord and previous cord have been checked and they are in good condition - I tried wiggling the connector earlier today and the flashing E1 with beeping does not stop.

I will look for that other thread too, thanks for letting me know.

Habanero Smoker

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Okie Dos

Today I am smoking ribs and shoulder. I got the E1 message when I plugged the power cord into the extension cord I had run from the house. I had this happen before and I remembered that you have to plug the wires in a specific order, It is shown on the back of the cooker: small sensor wire first, short power wire second and then the main power cord into the extension cord. I did this and still got the error message. Then I remembered what I did the last time this happened. I unplugged the extension cord, then removed all the Bradley wires and re-connected them in their specific order. Then I plugged the extension cord in to the house power and everything was good. So connect all the wires on the smoker in the correct order and then connect the main power cord.

manfromplaid

hope the ribs and shoulder come out fine.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Okie Dos on June 06, 2020, 03:55:30 PM
Today I am smoking ribs and shoulder. I got the E1 message when I plugged the power cord into the extension cord I had run from the house. I had this happen before and I remembered that you have to plug the wires in a specific order, It is shown on the back of the cooker: small sensor wire first, short power wire second and then the main power cord into the extension cord. I did this and still got the error message. Then I remembered what I did the last time this happened. I unplugged the extension cord, then removed all the Bradley wires and re-connected them in their specific order. Then I plugged the extension cord in to the house power and everything was good. So connect all the wires on the smoker in the correct order and then connect the main power cord.

Welcome to the forum.

Thanks for the information. I also hope your ribs and shoulder came out well.

I
         don't
                   inhale.