Issues with unit heating up

Started by netleyhunter, April 21, 2020, 02:24:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

netleyhunter

Hello everyone,

My parents for Christmas 2018 purchased a Bradley Smoker for me as a gift (model BS611 120V). As a hunter and angler I looked forward to smoking all the wild game that I have harvested. I used it maybe ½ dozen times in 2019, normally smoking a few things at once. Last fall I was trying to smoke the last of my wild game before the fall hunting seasons opened up, plugged it in and turned it on and put in the meat. Came back about 45 minutes later and the temperature was only 50 degrees. I turned up the temperature and left it for another 30 minutes. Came back and it was still just under 50 degrees. I checked all the cords to make sure everything is plugged in, which it was. Couldn't understand it. Talked to my buddy who also owns a Bradly smoker and he said the heating element in the back sometimes needs to be replaced. So I bought a new one and he help install it. Haven't tried it since last fall. Now that that the weather is nice I decided to try it again today with the new heating element. It still isn't heating up! Again I checked all the plugs to make sure they are plugged in and fitted properly. The smoker has been stored in my garage out of the elements. There is zero heat coming from the back of the smoker, the only heat is from where the pucks are heated to add smoke to the unit. I would have expected more from something that costs $500 and only is used about 6 times. Can anyone help me?

TedEbear

I suggest checking the inline fuse.  You will have to remove the back panel off the tower and the inline fuse looks like the one in the pic below.  Unplug both ends and check continuity with a multimeter.

cathouse willy

An easy way to test the inline fuse and wiring is to plug the oven directly into a wall plug the element should glow red,if not check the inline fuse.

Habanero Smoker

Hi netleyhunter;

Welcome to the forum.

You been given some good advice. If you take the back panel off, also check the wiring from of the heating elements back to the power source, and connections. Sometimes when you change the heating elements, if you pull on the wires too much it will sometimes disconnect the wires at the power source. One question. For temperature are you referring to Celsius?

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

netleyhunter

Hi guys,

Thanks for the information, the unit started working randomly. I left it on to at least cold smoke my meat before cooking it in the oven. After about an hour of no heat, I came back and it was suddenly up to temperature. So hopefully it's working now? If not I will do as you guys suggested and check the fuse in the back. Thanks again!

Habanero Smoker

There could be a problem with your rheostat (temperature dial). But if the element began heating with no explanation, that would worry me. One of the causes could be a loose wire. If it is a loose that can cause overheating at that connection and possibly cause a fire. You should still take the back cover off and check for loose of disconnected wire(s).

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

TedEbear

If it started working on its own the fuse wasn't bad.  Fuses don't fix themselves.  Maybe corrosion on the temp controller contacts or like Habanero Smoker said, a loose connection.   You might try turning the temp control from low to high back and forth a few times to clean off the contacts but I would also suggest taking some things apart and checking for a loose connection. Unplug it first, of course.

You said you have only used it a few times. New Bradley smokers frequently have a tight fit at the plug and one cord may not have been plugged in all the way or something. You sometimes have to give it a little extra push when new.

netleyhunter

I used it maybe 6 -8 times last year after I got it for Christmas in 2018. I will check the fuse when I get some time.