Help with Pork Butt Recipies

Started by Chomondely, May 20, 2020, 03:39:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chomondely

I am doing an 8.75 lb PB. I can not find the section on the forum that lists pork rbutt ecipe? Is there a link?
I tried doing a search but I was unsuccesssful.

So, what is the best recipe for a dry rub?
General smoking instructions?
I assume that the temp should be 225. I am using apple bisquettes.
What is the IT pull temp? Seems that Habenero Smoker likes 175, check to see if the fork turns. Others take it to a higher temp.
What is the vinegar sauce recipe?
Thanks in advance for your help. Sorry I could not find the info myself.

Habanero Smoker

Good Morning;

Those recipes would be in the Hot Smoking and Barbecuing sections.

To prepare the butt, trim the fat cap down to about 1/4" thick. For rubs, I use "The Renown Mr. Brown", some use Jan's Rub, but you can use any rub that you like. Before applying the rub coat the surface of the meat with oil or mustard so that the rub adheres better. I now use peanut oil. Apple is a good choice, I use 4 hours of pecan. Most do smoke/roast at 225°F, and will bring their temperature any where's from 195°F - 205°F. All butts cook differently, so start checking for donesss around 195°F. The higher you go the more tender, but too high you will get mushy meat. You can either test using the fork test, or probe test. The probe test is when the temperature probe slides in and out as a hot knife going through butter.

I do take my butts to 175°F (taking that measurement in a few places), but you need to know the procedure. I will only smoke/roast at 200°F, and try not to go any higher. Preparing the butt I trim more fat off than if I were to cook higher - even removing a lot of the fat from the fat vein. When pulling the pork, there will be areas of fat pockets that will need to be discarded. This method gives me the texture that I prefer.

For rub I like to use
Renowned Mr. Brown
1/4 cup Black Pepper, fresh cracked
1/4 cup Paprika
1 /4 cup Turbinado Sugar or Brown Sugar
2 Tbsp. Salt, Kosher
2 tsp. Mustard, dry
1 tsp. Cayenne pepper
(Makes enough for one 6 - 8 lb. Boston Butt)

Here is an Eastern North Carolina vinegar sauce.
Vaunted Vinegar Sauce Ingredients:
1 cup Cider Vinegar (I use Nakano Rice Vinegar, Original Flavor - this makes it sweeter)
1 Tbsp. Brown Sugar (adjust the amount to suit your taste)
1 tsp. Kosher Salt
1/2 tsp. Black pepper, fresh cracked
1/2 tsp. Red Pepper Flakes

Add some ketchup to make it a Western North Carolina vinegar sauce.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Chomondely

The sauce was a tremendous success and all loved the PB. I pulled at 195 after the fork turned easily in the meat. It cooked much faster than some previous PBs even though I set the temp at 225.
I tried the fork test at around 180 but the fork would not spin.

We practiced social distancing, etc. in a barn.
Thanks again for your help.

Habanero Smoker

Glad to read everything went well.

Today I had to settle for hamburgers and hotdogs. Also practicing social distancing, at a small outdoor get together.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)