Door seal issue, melting.

Started by Porch, June 21, 2020, 11:49:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Porch

I've purchased a used bradley smoker (bnib), first couple uses went fine. I cleaned the inside not overly after each use.
The last time I used it, the door seal melted and the plastic piece with the controls / feet melted and cracked. I replaced the seal with a replacement seal, and the next time I went to use it the same thing happened.

I have no idea and im at loss at to what im doing wrong with it.

Habanero Smoker

Ho Porch;

Welcome to the forum.

The only thing that could cause the silicon seal to melt like that is a fire inside your Bradley. You stated you purchased it used. Are you sure you have all the parts and that everything is installed properly. It may be that you are missing the drip tray, or you installed it upside down. The drip tray is the "V" shape piece that installs above the element and the water bowl. Make sure the pointed end is installed downward. If it is installed wrong, on not installed at all, grease can flow onto the heating element and cause a fire. Another thing you want to avoid is covering the drip tray, and/or the trays with foil. If you do that heat will be trapped underneath, grease will build up, and eventually catch on fire.

If that is not the problem, you will need to explain in more detail on how you are setting up your smoker prior to the cook - including vent setting, and what you are cooking when these fires occur.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)