Digital temperature setting to 320

Started by Corncake, August 10, 2020, 01:40:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corncake

Why does digital thermometer on the Bradley 6 rack smoker read 320 degrees if that temperature is unattainable ? I've had mine for 3-4 years and struggle with consistency as to the reading. Have gone to a multiprobe thermometer in order to check internal smoker temperature along with the meat temps. Not complaining, just wondering. Thanks

Orion

Probably because the temperature control and temperature sensor (stock components) are not exactly state of the art . In my smoker if I set a certain temperature the actual temperature overshoots the desired by about 20 degrees and then undershoots by 10 or 15 degrees. This is because the element is either triggered on or off by the temperature sensor and the setting you have chosen. If you set 250 and the element turns off at 250 the temp continues to rise until the element cools and cabinet temp continues to rise. Then with the element off and cooled the temperature drops below the setting until the element is triggered on again. The temperature simply swings up and down like a pendulum...always 'hunting' for the desired temp .
Many users rectify this by using a more accurate temp controller that 'learns' the temp swing characteristics and adjusts the element operation to maintain a steady desired temp within a degree or two. Many products including sausage require this accurate temp control for good results.
It's going to take a lifetime to smoke all this.

GusRobin

Like Orion said, it works like your kitchen oven. It doesn't hurt anything when doing briskets, butts, chicken, etc. Only a concern when doing things like sausage where you want a tighter temp control. That is when some folks buy a PID controller to have tighter control.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.