BS1019 Replacing The Top

Started by Habanero Smoker, July 17, 2020, 02:43:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habanero Smoker

In other posts I had mentioned that I had received two P10s that arrived with a damaged top. After the second one arrived with a damaged top, I noticed that the top is held on by six screws, four in the front, and two in the rear. All the electronics worked, so last Saturday I asked Bradley if they could just send me a top. They agreed and said they would add a couple of boxes of bisquettes for my trouble.

Thursday I received the bisquettes, one box of Beer, and one box of Chile Cuming; 48 packs. I'm happy to receive these two. They are two flavors I probably wouldn't have purchased. Today the top came in. This is all within a week, I was expecting it to be at least three week or more.

It's an easier fix then I first thought. First I didn't have to remove the door. Which was my main concern. The top has six tabs that are hooked – three on each side. After I removed the six screws, I tried to slide the top forward to disengage the tabs, but it wouldn't move. After about 10 minutes of trying to figure out why, I noticed two small bolts holding the vent to the inner ceiling. I removed those bolts and nuts, gave the vent a slight counterclockwise turn to disengage the lock tabs and lifted it out. Slid the top forward to disengage the hooked tabs, and lift straight up. To assemble, just reverse the order.

Things to note. The two screws on the back are different, so when you reassemble make sure you use the correct screws on the back. Make sure the top is fully push back into place. Make sure the screw holes in the front align. If the screws in the front don't go in easily try a different screw. Sometimes the screw has to go into the same hole. The nuts and bolts that hold the vent in place are very small. Take extra care not to lose them. When you slide the top back on, if it doesn't fully slide back, I found that slightly bending the front edges that has the screw holes downward helps. Don't use too much force, or you may bend the top. The full time took about 30 minutes. If I were to do it again it would have only taken 15 minutes.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

manxman

Pleased you got that sorted Habs and useful information for anyone else in a similar situation... hopefully you can now get on with using your new acquisition and tell us all about it.  :) ;)

Also interested in your opinion about the bisquette flavours, something I have seen but never thought of trying but this is from someone who can rarely see beyond oak and apple!  ::)
Manxman

Habanero Smoker

I know what you mean. I'm stuck on pecan, apple and maple - in that order. If I smoke/cook beef I'll go to oak.

I have a quarter of a section of a whole pork loin. I'm hoping to smoke that today. I'm going to season it with salt and pepper, and use the Chile/Cumin bisquettes. This cook will also give me a chance to use a temperature probe, and to see if one of my recipe sequence that I loaded carries out all three steps.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

manxman

Manxman