White Bread Test

Started by Habanero Smoker, August 10, 2020, 01:21:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habanero Smoker

I got around to performing the white bread test (many use refrigerated biscuits dough), to get a better idea of how evenly the oven cooks. For this test I used the bottom rail, third rail from the bottom (middle), and top rail. I placed five slices of white bread on each tray. One slice in each corner, and one in the center. There was plenty of space for the heat to circulate. I set the smoker at 250°F, bisquette dispenser on, and water in both the bisquette and drip bowls. It was a calm sunny day with the ambient temperature ranged from 77°F at the beginning, to 84°F at the end of the test. I also did another temperature test, which I will write up later.

This test went better than I thought it would. For the bottom and middle rails, the darkest browning occurred at the back of the trays, the front left corner, and the middle of those trays. The slices in the front right corner where a shade lighter than the rest of the slices on that tray. The middle tray though similar to the bottom tray was a shade lighter in color. The top rack seem to have browned all slices evenly, but the shade was the lightest. The only tray that noticeably browned both sides of the bread was the bottom, the other trays only the bottom of the slices were noticeably browned. So as far as this test went, it cooks fairly evenly, though results may vary with what is loaded, and how much is loaded.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

CoreyMac

Interesting test. You don't mention how long the test was?

Corey

Habanero Smoker

This test lasted approximately 4 hours; from about 9AM to 1PM. I had to end the test sooner than I wanted to, due to a line of T-storms moving in. I'm trying to download my session (graph) from ThermoWorks to confirm the time and temperatures, but the app is giving me a problem. I also need to download that session to write up my temperature test.

For the middle tray there was some browning on the top side of the bread, but not that much. I'm not sure why the right front is not as hot as the other areas. But after thinking it over, the difference could have been the bisquette burners, that are located in the rear left of the cabinet.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: CoreyMac on August 11, 2020, 06:41:30 AM
Interesting test. You don't mention how long the test was?

Corey

I just found out; fortunately the app keeps the last graph on the phone, all other graphs are achieved on their cloud. The test started at 11AM and ended at 2:30PM. The bread was placed in the smoker at 12PM after the cabinet temperature stabilized, and the bread was taken out at 2:30PM. So much for my memory.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

manxman

Interesting and useful information for those with the P10 Habs. Whenever I hot smoke anything in my original BS I do a top to bottom and back to front rack rearrangement about half way through out of habit, perhaps in some cases that would further improve what seems like a good set of results?  :)
Manxman

Habanero Smoker

Just a habit I have to test my cookers with white bread to see were the hotspots are located. I'm getting more lazy, so any step that I can skip I try to find. :) I should note that Bradley recommends rotating trays in this smoker also.

I
         don't
                   inhale.