Which racks to favour? Upper or lower?

Started by waynerto, August 11, 2020, 07:36:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

waynerto

I have a four rack smoker, but it is very rare that I use all four racks.  When I am only using one or two racks should I favour the lower or upper racks?  Would the temperature be a bit higher in the lower racks as they are closer to the heating element?  Or will it be pretty even since hot air rises?

tbronder5

Quote from: waynerto on August 11, 2020, 07:36:58 AM
I have a four rack smoker, but it is very rare that I use all four racks.  When I am only using one or two racks should I favour the lower or upper racks?  Would the temperature be a bit higher in the lower racks as they are closer to the heating element?  Or will it be pretty even since hot air rises?
Lower racks will definitely be hotter without any modifications to your smoker.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Orion

Yup , lower racks are hotter. Also warmer towards back than front. I use the middle two levels usually and rotate my racks up and down and front to back several times through the cook.
It's going to take a lifetime to smoke all this.

Habanero Smoker

I agree with the others. If only using one rack I tend to use the second from the bottom position. In my Old Original Bradley I get the most even heating at that level.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

mariasbarker

QuoteWould the temperature be a bit higher in the lower racks as they are closer to the heating element?

That's exactly how all ovens work! But what rack to use depends on the result you want to achieve meaning what dish you're cooking.

Edward176

Yeah, the closer to the heat source the greater the heat. Rotating the racks up and down as well as front to back will give you a more even heat and smoke distribution.