Racks getting rusty at grid intersections

Started by waynerto, August 16, 2020, 06:53:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

waynerto

I have only had my smoker for about 6 weeks but I have been using it a lot.  I often only use one or two racks.  I have started to notices a bit of rust on the racks where the horizontal and vertical wires cross.  Is this to be expected?

I initially hand washed the racks, but you need a scouring pad to get all of the crusted meat off.  It was a lot of work and you tend to destroy the scouring pad.  The last two weeks I have started to put them in the dishwasher instead.  Is the dishwasher a bad idea?

CoreyMac

That is weird. I have dishwashed my racks, wire brushed my racks, sos paded my racks, ( you get the idea). And in 10 years they looks like new. You may have a bad set of racks. Maybe call Bradley and let them know,the shouldn't be rusting at all. Even the jerky racks with the black coating i have are flawless. 

Corey

Edward176

Same here as CoreyMac. I've had my Bradley now for 6+ years and racks are just starting to show signs of discolouration (loosing their shinny chrome finish). I normally spray them with non stick spray before use and when done soak them in a tub/sink of hot soapy water. A light scrub with a scotch brite pad, and into the dishwasher, easy peasy. Just let them drip dry before storing.   

Habanero Smoker

I have that problem. Scouring the racks have removed the chrome coating, and mine will rust at the welds. After handwashing or dishwashing place the racks in an oven. Set the over for 200°F, and when the oven hits 200°F, turn it off and let the racks stay in the oven. Take them out when they are cool enough to handle. This will completely dry the racks even any moisture trapped in the nooks and crannies of the welds. I haven't had a rust problem since doing this.

To cut down on scrubbing, spray the racks with a nonstick spray, and use frogmats. Soaking the racks in a good degreaser also helps a lot.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

waynerto

Thanks folks. Are frogmats the same as the Bradley Magic Mats?  I have the Magic Mats but I have only used them once.

Habanero Smoker

They are similar, and perform the same function. Frogmats are fiberglass mess screen, that have a nonstick coating. Magic Mats are screened mats made of silicone. Of the two I would prefer silicone mats, but Frogmats are less expensive, and you can buy them in rolls and cut to the size you want.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Askmeoffers8

Hello, I smoke with an old 4-rack manual slider smoker with a home built PID for many years. Now I have a new 6-rack smoker with the dial temp control, and a new dual probe PID from Auber instruments. The second usage today and I put two pork targets in and after a few hours the PID overheat alarm went off, and the smoker temperature was 300 degrees (PID set at 225). Even after turning off and back the PID on the heating elements (did the mod dual heat bars) glowed red. Way too hot. What went wrong?

I had the smoker and the controller in the sun so maybe the Auber overheated and malfunctioned, or the second usage just failed. Tomorrow go to the garage to do a short run to see if the PID is still working. Thank you
This store was initiated almost two decades back and is still popular among people who follow fashio. Always faced difficulty when you try to find right deals & offers, So at Askmeoffers.com you will find best coupons & deals. https://askmeoffers.com/

meathead2005abc

Quote from: Askmeoffers8 on August 20, 2020, 06:14:37 AM
Hello, I smoke with an old 4-rack manual slider smoker with a home built PID for many years. Now I have a new 6-rack smoker with the dial temp control, and a new dual probe PID from Auber instruments. The second usage today and I put two pork targets in and after a few hours the PID overheat alarm went off, and the smoker temperature was 300 degrees (PID set at 225). Even after turning off and back the PID on the heating elements (did the mod dual heat bars) glowed red. Way too hot. What went wrong?

I had the smoker and the controller in the sun so maybe the Auber overheated and malfunctioned, or the second usage just failed. Tomorrow go to the garage to do a short run to see if the PID is still working. Thank you

I think the SSR(Solid State Relay) failed in the closed position.

Keith

PS You should have created a new thread, not hijacked this one.

Annata23

Quote from: meathead2005abc on August 20, 2020, 04:38:52 PM
Quote from: Askmeoffers8 on August 20, 2020, 06:14:37 AMHello, I smoke with an old 4-rack manual slider smoker with a home built PID for many years. Now I have a new 6-rack smoker with the dial temp control, connections nyt and a new dual probe PID from Auber instruments. The second usage today and I put two pork targets in and after a few hours the PID overheat alarm went off, and the smoker temperature was 300 degrees (PID set at 225). Even after turning off and back the PID on the heating elements (did the mod dual heat bars) glowed red. Way too hot. What went wrong?

I think the SSR(Solid State Relay) failed in the closed position.

Keith

PS You should have created a new thread, not hijacked this one.
Yes, it should be addressed in another article