Ideas for hanging summer sausage

Started by Highcountry, September 04, 2020, 12:10:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Highcountry

Does anyone have any ideas for hanging summer sausage from the top of the smoker to use all of the available space? Hanging them from the top rack causes a loss of a few inches. I wish the smokers were designed so you could put hooks from the top.

Habanero Smoker

You can invert one rack, put it on the top rail, and hang your sausage from that. That will get you a little extra room. I had made a hanger out of 1x3's, and 1x 1 1/2". The 1x3's rested on the top rails and the 1x1 1/2 were used as the cross braces/hangers.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Orion

I put 3 self taping sheet metal screws ( the ones with hex heads and about 3/8ths inch long) on each one the interior side walls about 1/2 an inch from the ceiling. These form
An improvised rail from which you can insert an inverted rack as described by HS. This effectively gets the basket of the inverted rack about a quarter inch from the interior ceiling. I then made little hooks from a wire coat hanger and use those to suspend sausage from the highest possible location. Maximum utilization of space. Three screws on each side and keep them all level if you can.
It's going to take a lifetime to smoke all this.