New to P10 - several questions...

Started by twogeckos, September 19, 2020, 08:34:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twogeckos

Hi all,

The manual is certainly lacking and while I like to experiment, I don't like seeing the brisquettes go into the water unused.

1) the manual implies that you turn the power on/off via the power button on the front. If that's the case, then mine doesn't work. If not, the manual is confusing at best.

2) on power on the bris dispenser advances, thereby sending a bris to the smoker. This makes no sense to me.

3) setting up the smoker timer, when the smoker is heated, the bris dispenser advances. What happens to the brisquette that was loaded at power on? It goes into the water un-burnt.

Am I missing something?

Thanks!

Habanero Smoker

Hi twogeckos,

Welcome to the forum. Glad to see more people are purchasing the P10.

The manual is lacking, and the information about how to turn on the smoker is incorrect.

1) The only way you can turn on/off the power is by the rocker switch located on the back of the smoker. The top row of icons on the control panel are just indicator lights, they have no mechanical function. When these icons are lit, the Power icon lets you know the power is one; the Child Lock lets you know it is engaged, the Heater Light lets you know when power is going to the heat elements - that light will turn off/on during use.

2) Do not load your bisquettes until after the P10 powers up. Any time you turn it on it does a self check. Part of that is the turntable will rotate. If you have bisquettes loaded a bisquette will advance to the unheated burner and just sit there. After you set the smoke time, it will not advance the next bisquette until the burner reaches the correct temperature. That takes about seven minutes, and the bisquette that was on the burner, which is slightly burned, gets pushed into the water bowl. If you have the bisquettes loaded and have not set the smoke time,  each time you turn the power on and off, a bisquette will advance and push the unburnt bisquette into the water.

3) See my answer above. In addition; the one good thing about how the bisquettes are dispensed is that you can load the bisquettes after you have set the smoke time. The first bisquette will not advance to the burner until a sensor indicates that the burners are at the right temperature, then the bisquette will advance. Being programed this way ensures all bisquettes are fully burnt.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

twogeckos

Thanks for the thorough response.

And by extension that means I need to get those remaining Bisquettes out of the feeder, including the one at the very bottom, before I finish.

Habanero Smoker

If you are storing the bisquettes in the chute for extended periods of time, that is not a good thing to do. Moisture can cause the bisquettes to swell, and they could get jammed under the turntable. When I was seasoning my P10, I used some old bisquettes and they jammed under the turn table, because over time they had swollen a small amount. I just load enough bisquettes that I will be using for that cook.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)