Smoking belly for bacon generates lots of water

Started by PrairieSailor, November 21, 2020, 02:10:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PrairieSailor

Hey,

Not too much traffic on here anymore, but hoping someone pops in to provide a comment.  I smoked about 15 lbs of belly for bacon, and I noticed that while smoking a lot of moisture (or maybe fat) is generated on top of each slab.  It poured off when I removed them.  Is it benefial to remove this throughout the smoke?  Pat it down or something? 

cathouse willy

oldsmoker

OLDSMOKER

Habanero Smoker

Also what temperature were you smoking at? If you are using too high of a temperature, and the fat is rendering, that is not ideal. Were you having a problem keeping the smoker at your set temperature?

It is best to try to prevent this problem. The more moisture the more smoke particles will absorb/adhere to the meat. This may cause a much stronger, more acrid smoke then desired. It may not be a major problem for the Bradley, since the burning of the bisquettes provide a much cleaner smoke. If you can't prevent this by widening the vent opening or adjusting your temperature, and it is a lot of buildup to the point you have to pour it off, at the end of the smoke; than blotting the areas with a paper towels, once or twice during the smoke could helpful.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)