Smoked Sampler Selection

Started by GreenFreak, November 24, 2020, 07:16:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GreenFreak

Hi All,

Still new to this & slowly learning. Long story short my wife won a smoker in a raffle last fall, which we gave to my father for xmas. He's retired & loves to BBQ so we figured he'd love it, but he wasn't interested in learning to smoke so he gave it back to us on the condition that we make them smoked-things when they visit. I'm looking to make a selection of smoked-goods to have with family over the holidays, thinking like a "smoked charcuterie" type thing. To-date I've done ribs, salmon, brisket, & pork-butt a few times, but looking to do something different.

Thinking of doing some smoked cheese(s), any suggestions for the best types? which wood to use? time/temp? & how long to rest?

Also looking to do either some ATB (Atomic Buffalo Turds) or Armadillo Eggs. My family has an addiction to Bits-n-Bites (think called Chex Mix on these forums) but I've never tried it smoked so going to try that as well. Maybe some sausages, or other deli-type meats as well that we can cut-up into bite size morsels, any recommendations there?

Also, any other "christmas dinner" smoked goods to try? Likely not going to smoke the turkey as we always deep-fry it, but interested in other ideas.

watchdog56

If you do cheese I suggest you either use a cold smoke adaptor or make one out of a cardboard box and use flexible drier vent hose. The cabin temp should not get over 90 degrees or cheese melts. You can always put a bowl of ice in it to help keep it cool. I have  a digital smoker so I just use the smoke generator for heat nothing else.
I usually use a lighter wood like cherry or apple when I do cheese. I like to do ghouda,marble jack and even havarti. When they are done after 2 hours of smoke you need to let them cool and then wrap in plastic and put in frig for 3-4 weeks before eating otherwise they taste nasty.

Habanero Smoker

Scotch eggs are nice; after fully smoked/cook you can slice them in half or in quarters. Smoked salmon, or a dip made from smoked salmon. Bacon wrapped dates. Pig shots, or bacon burnt ends. Do a search for "smoked appetizers" and you will come up with a lot of choices.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

GreenFreak

Quote from: watchdog56 on November 24, 2020, 10:12:04 AM
If you do cheese I suggest you either use a cold smoke adaptor or make one out of a cardboard box and use flexible drier vent hose. The cabin temp should not get over 90 degrees or cheese melts. You can always put a bowl of ice in it to help keep it cool. I have  a digital smoker so I just use the smoke generator for heat nothing else.
I usually use a lighter wood like cherry or apple when I do cheese. I like to do ghouda,marble jack and even havarti. When they are done after 2 hours of smoke you need to let them cool and then wrap in plastic and put in frig for 3-4 weeks before eating otherwise they taste nasty.

Being up in Canada I'm hopeful that I can successfully do the cheese without the cold-smoke adapter, waiting for a pretty cold day -10C or so (14F) I figure should do the trick.

GreenFreak

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on November 24, 2020, 01:28:04 PM
Scotch eggs are nice; after fully smoked/cook you can slice them in half or in quarters. Smoked salmon, or a dip made from smoked salmon. Bacon wrapped dates. Pig shots, or bacon burnt ends. Do a search for "smoked appetizers" and you will come up with a lot of choices.

Thanks, will look those up as well  :)

Scotty-G

Most important is have fun with the cold smoking - eggs, nuts, cheese - they are all great!
Just posted on another thread that we cold smoke mozzarella and put on pizza.  :P
I like to use a lighter wood for the mozzarella - Apple, Maple, Pecan
And a stronger wood - oak, mesquite for extra sharp cheddar & swiss
Am thinking of giving Provolone a try and using that for cheese steak sammies

manfromplaid

greenfreak  I am in alberta and smoke cheese without the adapter. use only the smoke generator and I fill a 2 litre pop bottle with water freeze it and place it in my smoker. as long as you keep it in or below the low 80s your golden. keep in mind the softer the cheese the more likely to melt. apple cherry or maple for a sweeter taste or hickory or oak for a deeper flavor. also know that after smoking you need to let the cheese hide in the fridge for at least 4 weeks.