cheese

Started by manfromplaid, November 25, 2020, 09:48:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

manfromplaid

going thru the last of my cheese collection and I now have to smoke a new batch. down to the last 2 pieces. been awhile since my last cheese smoke as these 2 packs are dated nov 2018. still fresh no mold and great aged smoke flavor. nice to know it can last in the fridge vac sealed for quite some time.

manxman

Cheese is one of my favourite BS smokes, easy and the end product is so good. I have never kept any beyond about 6 month purely because it has always been eaten in that time, good to know the shelf life is so much longer.

Mature strong cheddar is my smoked cheese of choice but worth trying a few different ones.  :)
Manxman

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: manxman on November 25, 2020, 11:21:27 AM
............ Mature strong cheddar is my smoked cheese of choice but worth trying a few different ones.  :)

I know what you mean about strong aged cheddar. There is a store in Vermont, about 1.5 hour drive from me. He doesn't produce cheese, but he buys the best local cheddar directly from the farms, and then he ages it prior to selling it. It's expensive, but great tasting.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

manxman

QuoteIt's expensive, but great tasting.

Cheese is one of those items I always think it is worth spending a bit extra on if you can and go for quality. Very few I don't like but my favourite alongside strong aged cheddar are the blue cheeses such as Stilton.
Manxman

Scotty-G

This is making me realize I need to smoke more cheese. One of our favorites is mozzarella that we shred and put on pizza.
Extra Sharp Cheddar is on the list too.  Has anyone ever tried making aged smoked cheddar in port wine?

manxman

QuoteHas anyone ever tried making aged smoked cheddar in port wine?

Now there's a thought :) From time to time especially over the winter months I do like a glass of nice port with my smoked cheese so why not combine the two!   ;)
Manxman

Kiwigeoffnz

My port wine doesn't make it anywhere near the cheese. (hic) :)