Tempco upgrade

Started by Chuckals, November 28, 2020, 04:24:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuckals

Hi.... newt o forum
When tempco upgrade is completed what is the lowest smoking temperature possible?

Habanero Smoker

Hi Chuckals;

Welcome to the forum.

Not knowing your smoker model or your final configuration after the upgrade; the lowest smoking temperature you will be able to achieve will be the same before you made the upgrade. Just like before, you lowest temperature with the tempco element off, is the same as running a stock Bradley with the 500 watt element off - and that is also very dependent on the ambient weather. With the element on, if you don't have a third party controller and you are using the Bradley controller and sensors, I wouldn't expect it to run any hotter or much hotter at the lowest setting than with the stock 500 watt element. The main difference you will see is how fast your reach the set temperature.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Chuckals

thanks for the response. I will be running an Auber PID and their new cirfan. It is a Bradley 4 rack digital so I just wondered if the PID would have a setting lower than what I can get to with the Bradley smoke generator. Haven't received the PID or fan yet but was curious as to how low I can get to. Have been using my Bradley for several years now and finally got tired of temperature inconsistencies.
When I smoke salmon I usually start as low as I can...usually just the generator without element on and work my way up. Think the PID can be programmed so wondered if I can stilll. start ;ow with generator and have PID come on after a certain time
Thanks

manfromplaid

I have the 2 element mod and use a PID. when I am doing salmon I start at 120 and work my way up. I can start the smoke and set temp on pid. if temp goes above my pid setting the element gets no power. so you can set your smoke generator to on and set the pid to where you want and for how long and away ya go.

Chuckals

Did you have to rewire when you went to 2 element? I am thinking of rewiring from the 16 gauge that is there to 14 because of the higher wattage of the tempco element. It's a bit of work but probably safer....right?

manfromplaid

hitemp 12g and stainless steel plugs and rings

Edward176

Hello chuckals and welcome to the Forum :)

gizy-CA

Quote from: manfromplaid on November 29, 2020, 08:14:02 AM
I have the 2 element mod and use a PID. when I am doing salmon I start at 120 and work my way up. I can start the smoke and set temp on pid. if temp goes above my pid setting the element gets no power. so you can set your smoke generator to on and set the pid to where you want and for how long and away ya go.

I have BS model P10...I was wondering if I can do the same  hack the PID to this P10 model? Thanks.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: gizy-CA on December 01, 2020, 03:35:00 PM
I have BS model P10...I was wondering if I can do the same  hack the PID to this P10 model? Thanks.

Everything is so integrated I would think it's not likely, especially with a plug & play PID. I feel that a third party PID would have to be hardwired in, and it would be very difficult to hook one up. I find that the PID that is build into the P10 keeps tight temperatures, but the readings that are displayed are too low. Once I learned how the P10 performs I just adjust my temperature settings.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)