Repair or replace?

Started by Kalamazoo, January 22, 2021, 01:09:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kalamazoo

I've had the OBS (not digital) stainless 4 rack for at least a decade and have used it thoroughly. I've replaced the puck burner once, the heating element once, rebuilt the door hinges, somehow managed to lose a rack, tried and broke an auber pid and have loved every minute of it.

Today (michigan, 20 degrees) she died again with a brisket, 2 racks of ribs and 1 chicken within. The proteins are now safely in the oven, hopefully recoverable.

QUESTION: replace heating element again? upgrade to larger element plus new pid? buy new smoker altogether (not sure on that one). Any and all advice and suggestions appreciated!

cathouse willy

I've been smoking with a four rack original and home assembled pid for 5 years,like you I've replaced some parts and I've got some spare parts on hand.From what I've seen the fancy new digital models are more a gimmick than an improvement. Get yourself a new pid and element and you've got a nearly new smoker for a fraction of a new one.

Habanero Smoker

If you are sure it is only a heating element, then replacement is a good choice. If you are going to purchase a PID, or other type of controller, if the element has to be replaced you may want to give some thought to upgrading to a 900-watt.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Edward176

Is a new "Bradley Pro Grade Smoker BS1019" in the running? Just wondering what I'd do, if and when, my 6 rack digital goes to smoker heaven. Repair, replace or upgrade?

Habanero Smoker

The Pro 10 is a good model, though it does have a few cons. The pros are that it heats up fast, at any ambient temperature, the dual elements provides more even back to front heat heat, larger trays and cooking area, and it maintains tight temperatures. Easy to clean. The cons are that you cannot cold smoke, and hot smoking is iffy. My test shows that it runs at a higher temperature than what is displayed. I'm hoping they come out with a fireware update to fix this. Minor issues are the "Child Lock", and the default display is Celsius.

There is a slight learning curve, but once you understand how it cooks you can put out a consistant product. If you want a good electric smoker that can put out consistent barbecue, I would recommend it.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)