Boudin

Started by ratherbboating, March 14, 2021, 02:37:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ratherbboating

Tried my hand at boudin again.  Seen a youtube video on making it (Louisianan sausage makers), they gave the ingredients but did not give the amounts.  Search here on the forum and came up with one that was real close to what they had and have made it one time.
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=26528.msg317392#msg317392
Recipe I use this time:

2 pounds pork shoulder, cut into 1-inch pieces
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
2 stalk of celery, diced
1 medium red onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 bell pepper, seeds and stem removed, chopped
1/2 pound chicken livers
2 cups cooked rice
1 TSP dried thyme
1 TSP dried oregano
1 TSP paprika
2 green onions, chopped (green part only)
1/2 cup parsley, finely chopped
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 TBS salt
And then followed the general instructions on Boudin.

Everything mixed up.

Final product.

Some notes about it.
Salt, need to double it next time (if not a little more)
Should have add jalapeno (wife talked me out of adding)
Add more crushed red pepper for heat.
If using chicken livers again, double.
But overall, it turned out good.
bons temps rouler
The only real stumbling block is fear of failure. In cooking you've got to have a what-the-hell attitude. Julia Child

manxman

They look really good, unfortunately I am on a very low fat diet at the moment after some ill health but once I am back up and running properly these will be on my to do list!  :)

Thanks for posting.
Manxman

Habanero Smoker

This sausage looks interesting. I was going to try it before but never got around to it. I'm getting back into my sausage making mode, so I will try this.  :)

What type of salt and brand did you use. I like to use purified table salt. It seems to dissolve better than kosher salts. I may bump up the crushed red peppers, and use poblanos instead of the jalapenos.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

ratherbboating

I used kosher salt. I added the salt to the mixture while being cooked. Will add more salt to the cooked mixture next time before grinding.

And using fresh poblanos I would think would be good, I pickle them in the summer time for use instead of jalapenos (they go on top of my pizzas for a little kick).

Not pictured, but at the same time I was making this, I made Chaurice (a fresh sausage).  And I made breakfast links.  Tasted a little Chaurice, left over meat in the stuffer, it was good.

I had bought a large Boston Butt.  And since I had the stuffer and grinder out, just use all the pork up at one time.  Took half a day to do it all.
The only real stumbling block is fear of failure. In cooking you've got to have a what-the-hell attitude. Julia Child

KyNola

Very nicely done my friend.

Habanero Smoker

Now you got me thinking of Chaurice. I haven't made that in sometime. I need to get back into sausage making. And pickled poblanos sound great!!

I
         don't
                   inhale.

dubob

Quote from: ratherbboating on March 14, 2021, 02:37:06 PMTried my hand at boudin again.
Dude - can you overnight a couple dozen of them links to me.  PLEASE!   ;D
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 77 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men don't ask permission to bear arms." ― Glen Aldrich
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." ― Dr. Seuss

ratherbboating

Follow up post on the Chaurice sasuage.
I have cooked some now and it tastes good.  Cooked a link (steamed then light fried) and ate in a bun.  Then for breakfast this morning, cut the meat out of casing then fried (using a little bacon grease) and stir in some eggs and scrambled. Both ways was good.  Next going to try on grill.

But the next sausage I will make is bratwurst again.  I am out and grilling season is upon us.

Edward176

Looks very tasty, I can almost taste it from here ;) Will you be smoking any of it?

Habanero Smoker

Very nice looking sausage!!!!

I
         don't
                   inhale.