Cleaning?

Started by waynerto, July 20, 2020, 07:21:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

waynerto

I got a smoker a couple of weeks ago and have used it three times.  How much are you supposed to clean the smoker after each use?  On the insides I can get most of the blackened smoke and grime, but not all of it.  Should I worry about this?  Should you scrub it as much as you can after each use, or just forget about it?

And it says to store in a dry covered place.  That isn't practical for me, but I can store it so it is under the eaves and doesn't get direct rain - and I bought a Bradley cover for my unit so it is properly covered.  Is that good enough?

Orion

Cleaning: wipe down exterior with soft damp cloth and mild soap. Wipe clean with water soaked cloth.
Soak racks, drip tray, and bowl in tub with hot water to loosen crud. Scrub with soft bristle plastic brush.
Wipe interior with water soaked cloth. I never use soap or detergents on interior or associated parts. I only clean the bottom of  interior of any fats or oils . Once in a blue moon I might wipe the inner walls. The whole idea is to get a nice smoke coating on the interior and is known as seasoning the smoker.
The main concern with cleaning is just getting the crud out and any oils or fats. These can go rancid and create bad smells or mold.

Always wipe your door seal (rubber ) with a bit of vinegar to clean all the grime off. Also clean the surfaces where the seal mates with the cabinet. Then give the seal a light coat of vegetable oil. This helps keep it pliable and prevents cracking of brittle rubber.

You may have to carefully clean the temp sensor on back wall once in a long while. Here and only here would I use a small amount of oven cleaner on a cloth, just a small blob and wipe sensor gently.

Look carefully around element and clean any debris, oil or fat.

You're okay to store it outside as long as it doesn't get wet at all or if you live in a really damp climate. The electronics in the smoke generator and control panel will not like dampness or moisture. I wouldn't store it outdoors during cold freezing weather either. It's an electronic appliance and should be treated as such.

Long story short, it's fine to have a good layer of smoke inside, actually it's desirable . Anything removable I keep as clean as I can so it doesn't transfer flavours or bacteria. It's also a pleasure to use when you pull it out and everything is clean and ready to go.
It's going to take a lifetime to smoke all this.

Orion

Forgot to mention...I always store mine with everything packed inside the cabinet and the door slightly ajar. This allows air to circulate and prevents anything growing in there. Keep your pucks indoors in the driest place you have. They can absorb moisture.
It's going to take a lifetime to smoke all this.

waynerto

Thanks Orion - I guess I can be a bit less agressive in my cleaning.  I was cleaning the crud off the interior,  the racks and the drip tray.  I wasn't using detergent but I was washing away the smokey interior with a damp cloth.  It sounds like I can let that be.

What's the best place in Canada to get the bisquettes?  Cabela's seems to have the best price but their logistics aren't the best as it looks like it is going to take 14 days to get to Toronto.  They are much cheaper than prices on Amazon but you have to pay for shipping and it is SO slow.  When I ordered mine the 48 packs were on sale for $18.69, now they are back to $21.99.  But that is still way cheaper than half the ~$50/48 pack at Amazon.

rnmac

$20.99 for the 48 pack at Home Depot.

Edward176

Anyone ever order bisquettes directly from Bradley? Their web sight has them listed for $19.99 for 48 and  $49.99 for 120 packs. I'd be curious to see how that works out with shipping and taxes?

Habanero Smoker

On the U.S. site if your order is over $100 shipping is free. When I ordered my smoker, it was shipped from Illinois, and I wasn't charged any tax. When that occurs it is up to me to report that purchase to New York State.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Habanero Smoker

Hi Bobnatural;

Welcome to the forum.

Hopefully the new stainless steel racks will be much better, and users won't have to worry about the chrome coating of the racks wearing off.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)