First brisket smoked - issues!!

Started by Shak83, June 09, 2021, 06:06:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shak83

Hey guys! So I smoked my first brisket today which was around 13lbs. I cooked it at 260F and put it in at 8pm and left it overnight. Woke up at 8am and some parts of the meat were 200F and others were 178F.

Now I know normally you wrap it around the 165F but as I did it overnight I probably missed this mark.

Finally took it out at around midday when the internal temp was around 200F but the bark at this point was hard as brick and a real effort to cut into. The meat inside was actually pretty tender and moist. It it just wouldn't hold its shape and fell apart in my hand. I'm not sure if this means I overcooked it? Every slice I was getting was just crumbling away. Bit disheartened but wanted to know what I was doing wrong? Also I didn't get much of a jiggle at all either! Any help will be greatly appreciated

Habanero Smoker

The brisket is going to measure differently at different places. This can be due to thickness of that area, and/or amount of fat in a given area. I generally will place my probe in the thickest part of the flat; where the point starts. If I have room on my rack, I will place the probe through the side of the meat; if not I insert it from the top. I start checking around 195°F, by using the temperature probe. If it slide in and out of the brisket like a hot knife going through butter, then it is done.

An internal temperature of 200°F sounds about right, but by your description, you overcooked the brisket. When it falls apart while it's being sliced or when picked up that is definitely an indicator that it was overcooked, but it usually doesn't remain moist. Was your brisket graded, if so what grade. Walmart only sell select grade, and I haven't had much luck with select grades.

A quarter inch slice should stay together when picked up at one end, and should be easily pulled apart. Another indicator of a well cooked brisket is that a slice should easily draped over an extended finger. A reason for the tough bark is that it was overcooked, and wrapping would have helped; but can you tell us if you used sugar in the rub, and how much. Too much sugar can also cause this. Just a note for future cooks; you can wrap anytime after that bark has set. If you wrap late and the bark feels really hard, sprit it before wrapping. This may not always solve the tough bark issue, but it will improve it.

Some things you can do when the brisket is over cooked and you want slices is to slice it much thicker than usual. That may help the slices stay together. Or try cutting with the grain, you still may have to cut thick slices. Also chopped brisket makes a good meal. You can chop it up, and add your favorite sauce. Serve it on a plate, or as a sandwich, or over rice or mashed potatoes; etc..

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Shak83

Thanks for the response and sorry for the delay. I've ordered a 3kg point brisket and will try and cook that but i suspect the timings will be different for this one? I'm guessing still low and slow but won't take as much time?

Habanero Smoker

I haven't smoke/roast a brisket point in the Bradley for a long time. Start with a guesstimate of 90 minutes per pound with a cabinet temperature of 225°F to 250°F. Since you have the P10, you should go for a cabinet temperature or 250°F; for 75 minutes per pound - maybe less. The recovery time of the P10 is much faster than the 500 watt Bradley. If you are planning to serve it at a specific time, start it early and keep an eye on the internal temperature. You can always FTC it and hold it a few hours. Record your times, temperature, texture etc. in a log so you can refer to them for future cooks.

My concern is why your first point over cooked. If you are using the Bradley probes, you should also use a third party probe if you have one. If your flat has a fat cap, when you trim it leave at least a 1/4-inch of fat on.  I forgot to mention, you will not get the jiggle when you just smoke the flat. The jiggle is usually between the flat and the point muscle.

I'm about to smoke a whole brisket today. I was going to use one of my charcoal cookers, but I'm thinking (at this time) I might use the P10, and take some notes. It's a 12 lb., Certified Angus prime grade.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)