Meat Prices

Started by TedEbear, July 03, 2021, 11:00:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TedEbear

What's going on with meat prices lately, specifically filet mignon?  I stopped by my local store yesterday to see if they had any holiday meat sales and laughed when I saw this price.  It wasn't more than a month or two ago that these were selling for under $24/lb at the same store.

The trip wasn't a total loss.  I did find pork butts on sale for $1.39/lb.  I have one in the smoker right now, just reached the stall.

Habanero Smoker

That is an expensive cut of meat to begin with, but even for that cut that is a high price. I agree the prices are going up - and fast. A variety of issues are causing a disruption in the supply chain; shortage of labor, price of labor and feed going up, restaurants reopening, and other factors have caused a shortage. Hopefully things will stabilize soon, and the prices will start to decline.

This year my July 4th will consist of Ballpark hotdogs, and rolls that were free from a BJ's promotional purchase, and chicken wings pulled out of the freezer.

So until the prices go down I'm increasing my vegan Mondays to vegan Mondays and Wednesdays. :-[

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

watchdog56

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: watchdog56 on July 06, 2021, 06:39:07 AM
Wow that is crazy

You think that is crazy. Today a local supermarket was selling St. Louis style ribs for almost $7 per pound. They were small for pork ribs, and the quality was poor - with very little meat on them.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)