Buying a smoker

Started by amyz, August 31, 2006, 01:43:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amyz

We are looking at buying a Bradley Smoker, I'm wondering about the temperature, it says it only reaches 165 degrees.  It seems most smokers range up to 250-275.  Is this a problem when smoking turkey breasts, whole geese/duck, or pheasant??  We are pretty new to smoking, we have a Masterbuilt electric, the heating element went out on it right away, which is why we are leaning toward buying a Bradley. 

Thanks for any help!!!

MRH

I have had mine up to 230 so far but haven't tried any hotter then that. It is the original model.  I am having fun with it so far, I am still a newbie too.  I did 3 whole chickens a while ago with the beer can stuckin them and they cooked with no problem.

Mark

bubbagump

Amy,

I believe the 165 degrees you are talking about is in celsius. That would be around 329 fahrenheit. Mine will easily reach 300, but I don't usually go much more than 205, except when warming it up and then I stay at 250.

Bubbagump

Oldman

QuoteMine will easily reach 300, but I don't usually go much more than 205, except when warming it up
Amen...

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

amyz

Thanks for all your responses, that makes perfect sense, that it'd be celsius...
Amy

IKnowWood

and AmyZ  it does chicken and Turkey Breast and Turkey real nice.   Just don't expect any skin to taste.  its not so good.  The meat is amazing.

i did a chicken Roaster (about 3 lbs) this last Friday and it turned out great.  3 hours smoke.  2 hours were with Hickory and 1 with Mesquite.    Real nice and smoked and moist as any could want.
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes

Glassguy

I am thinking of getting the "original bradley" (model BT1s1) and I was wondering if the briquettes automatically forwarded during operation or if I have to do it manually for each briquette during smoking process? (ie: every 20 minutes, do I have to 'push the button' ?) Just curious as the book was silent on it and only mentioned "push the button to advance the briquette during seasoning process)-- I am looking for a bit more "hands off" if not.
Have a good day. (sorry if I posted to the wrong spot--new here)
Ya Can't Beat Boatin' & Smokin'!!!

whitetailfan

glassguy,
The smoke gen is automatic.  The reason it has a puck advance is so you can move the pucks from the tube position, to the end of the burner.  I also always hit the advance button at least once to reset the cycle of 20 minutes and then check my watch.  I now know when the pucks are going to move and when my last one will hit the burner.
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

Glassguy

thanks whitetail, that answers my question, Will be back in 20 min. with a "new one" (Like a kid in a candy store--looking forward to "getting on with it" Other than my concern--it sure appears to be a 'class' product!! I hope you have a good day, and thanks again for your response & help!!
Ya Can't Beat Boatin' & Smokin'!!!

IKnowWood

Glassguy

You will eventually find reasons to use the advance push button to sync your smoking and cooking cycles.  You will learn that the first puck to hit the plate many times does not burn up completely.  also its useful when you see the product cooking faster or slower. 

One thing to note is when I amusing it, when the smoke is done, I stop the power to the generator (power Off) to stop the advance mecanism and puck plate and let the cabinet heat element to take the front row operation.   Saving on the mecanisms that are prone to possible failure. Law of mecanisms. The more it moves, the greater risk the next move will fail.
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes

iceman

Quote from: IKnowWood on October 04, 2006, 06:28:09 PM
Law of mecanisms. The more it moves, the greater risk the next move will fail.
Yeppers. ;) :)