Pork Butt Underway

Started by David6340, July 25, 2004, 04:54:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David6340

I'm about 6 hours into smoking my 2 Pork Butts. 223 smoker temp, 153 meat temp.I opened the door for the first time after 6 hours to add water which I found to be empty. I initially started with 12 Hickory bisquettes about 4 hours worth. For the last 2 hours, I've not been using any wood. I just added some more hickory. By in large, how much would should I use over the course of what appears to be a ten hour smoke?

Fuzzybear

I'd hang with about 6 hours of smoke total - 4 should still leave you with a nice taste, 6 would be stronger...

"A mans got to know his limitations"
Glendora, CA - USA!

David6340

I've got my Maverick Clipped to but not touching the top rack. There has been a consistent 22 degree diference between the door and the Maverick with the Maverick showing the higher temp. I have a butt on the top and second rack. Does this difference sound normal?

Fuzzybear

Yeah, sometimes those door thermo's just don't do the job..better off with the Maverick for the temp...mines off by about 3 - 5 degrees compared to the Maverick...

Glendora, CA - USA!

BigRed

Quote<i>Originally posted by Fuzzybear</i>
<br />Yeah, sometimes those door thermo's just don't do the job..better off with the Maverick for the temp...mines off by about 3 - 5 degrees compared to the Maverick...

Glendora, CA - USA!
FuzzBear!
 Just got the dual probe Maverick and put one in the meat and the other probe hanging in the BS. Temp. does vary. Did 2 chicken halfs on Sunday at 215 degrees but after 5 hours never could get the temp. in the breast above 158 degrees.Took it out and had to finish in the oven. Dark meat was perfect but white meat a little dry.  IDEAS?

BigRED

BigRED