17 Hour Pork Butt?

Started by David6340, July 26, 2004, 03:10:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

David6340

2 pork butts about 7 pounds each, 1 on the top rack the other beneath it on the second rack, avarage cooking temp of 225 on the Maverick. I am <font color="red"><b>17 hours</b> </font id="red">into it, the Maverick is registering food temp of 190 and a smoker temp of 248. I was shooting for 195-200 for pulled pork. Is it unusual that they've taken 17 hours?

Bassman

David,
I have made many pork butts,Smoking @200F it has only taken anywhere from 10-13hrs. You only need to reach an internal temp of 185F. Then wrap it in foil & a towel and let it rest for an hour and the internal temp wil rise another 5 degrees.It will be ready to pull at this point.Hope this helps.[:p]

<i><font color="blue"><b>Jack</i></font id="blue"></b>
Jack

MallardWacker

David,

Did you take the butt from the fridge to the smoker?  I usually pull my butts out for two hours before I put them in the smoker.  Jack is correct about the temp, 180-185 is plenty.  Also the thing about the towl, I don't serve mine with out doing that.  The last couple of weeks I've started wrapping mine THEN putting them in a cooler until I need them.  Never had a bad one yet.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

David6340

I don't know if I used enough smoke. Hickory briquettes about half the time of the 17 hours.I pulled it yesterday night and put it in sauce for this evening. It had a nice bark on it. Did my best to remove the bark and fat as I was pulling. Tonight I'll just put in the oven to heat. Thanks for the advice.

Dave

BigSmoker

I certainly try and remove all the fat I can when pulling pork but I don't discard the bark.  I find the bark is where a lot of the rub flavor is.  I hope I'm not the only one that does this?  Happy Smokin'

Jeff

Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
http://devoted.to/bbq
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

whitetailfan

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by BigSmoker</i>
<br />I certainly try and remove all the fat I can when pulling pork but I don't discard the bark.  I find the bark is where a lot of the rub flavor is.  <font color="red">I hope I'm not the only one that does this?  </font id="red">Happy Smokin'

Jeff<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Not at all Jeff.  When I pull the butt, it is a good opportunity to get rid af any remaining fat and connective tissue that did not fully break down in the rendering stage.  But there is no way I'd get rid of the bark.  To me it's like hunks of spice.  Put a little bark on your sandwich for a nice flavour, or fight for it straight off the plate with other bark enthousiasts, just try not to get stabbed too badly, forks can leave nasty marks on the back on your hand[:D]

<b><font color="green">whitetailfan</font id="green"></b>
"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

BigRed

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by David6340</i>
<br />2 pork butts about 7 pounds each, 1 on the top rack the other beneath it on the second rack, avarage cooking temp of 225 on the Maverick. I am <font color="red"><b>17 hours</b> </font id="red">into it, the Maverick is registering food temp of 190 and a smoker temp of 248. I was shooting for 195-200 for pulled pork. Is it unusual that they've taken 17 hours?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Dave!

17hours is a lot. The last two PButts I did went 12 hours let them reswt and pulled them. I am going to try the towel and foil next time.

BigRedRon

BigRED

Bassman

I like the bark,IMHO it adds flavor.[:p]

<i><font color="blue"><b>Jack</i></font id="blue"></b>
Jack