Help with Halibut

Started by TomG, September 04, 2006, 09:09:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomG

Normally by this time of the year I've smoked 150 lbs of salmon and have enough in the freezer to last until the following spring.  This year, for reasons unknown and unheard of in over 50 years,  the waters for 25 miles outside the Gate have been a virtual dead zone for salmon.  62* water, wall to wall anchovies, mackerel and even an occasional barracuda, but rarely a salmon.  Like "skunked" four out of the last five trips fishing.  That's more no fish days than we've experienced total for the last three years.

The good news is we're getting lots of 10-25 lb halibut. What little info available on the Forum doesn't seem to suggest that there is a good way to smoke flaties.  Does anyone have a recipe to share?

iceman

TomG;
I think Kummok might be the one to ask. Over the years I've always been a bit disappointed with trying to smoke halibut. I've tried just about every combination of tricks I could think of. It's just to lean of a fish. Grilling, batter fried, and baking are the only ways I've had success. I do on occasion cold smoke filets for an hour then toss them on the grill. It does add a great flavor. Another way we like it is to stuff it with king crab and top it with a sauce then bake it. :)

TomG

Quote from: iceman on September 05, 2006, 01:30:44 PM
Another way we like it is to stuff it with king crab and top it with a sauce then bake it. :)

What time is dinner?  We'll bring the halibut and the chardonnay :)

manxman

QuoteAnother way we like it is to stuff it with king crab and top it with a sauce then bake it.

I've booked my flight tickets across the pond.......... sounds wonderful!  :D
Manxman

bubbagump

Quote from: manxman on September 06, 2006, 10:27:50 AM
QuoteAnother way we like it is to stuff it with king crab and top it with a sauce then bake it.

I've booked my flight tickets across the pond.......... sounds wonderful!  :D

Manxman - Stop and pick me up on your way.  I don't want to miss that meal!  ;D

manxman

QuoteManxman - Stop and pick me up on your way.

No probs bubbagump.  ;D

Any other request stops?? ;D ;D
Manxman

shearwater

I have done a lot of expermenting with smoking halibut and if done as detailed below you should end up with a great dinner treat.

First the brine
Seven to one water to salt mix
Use pickling or kosher salt (no iodine)

Use 1 ¾ cup of water and ¼ cup of salt
Soak filets for 2 hours no more than 4 hours

I typically add
¼ cup soy sauce
2 tbl spoons of onion power
2 tbl spoons of garlic power
¼ cup brown suagr

Rinse well with cold water after soaking and pat dry
Soaking in the brine mix will really plump up the filets and replace water lost from freezing and thawing. Really makes a difference I brine frozen halibut for any type of cooking.

Smoke with mild wood such as alder or apple for 2 hours between 200 and 225 degrees
Trick is not to overcook and let the filets dry out otherwise you will end up with a brick.

If by chance the filets end up dry I toss then in a food processer and mix with mayo (as in tuna fish san) make a great treat.

Good luck

TomG

Thanks Shear, we're going to drag a little wire tomorrow and hopefully will have fresh halibut for the weekend.

iceman

Thanks for the post shearwater. BTW welcome to the forum. Sounds like using a weaker brine might just do the trick.

shearwater

Tom where are you fishing out of? I typically have a freezer full of halibut but the ocean conditions here in oregon have kept me off the water this season. Those small halibut are the best eating ones IMHO.

The base brine mix (7 to 1 water/salt) comes from the Oregon state University extension service. Interesting article on how at 7 to 1 the brine will pull moisture from the fish over the first 30 minutes then you get a reverse osmosis effect that draws only water back into the fish with the salt molecules being to large to be taken in by the process.

Just remember to rinse well afterwards to wash off the surface salt and not to brine for over a couple of hours otherwise the brine tends to work down into the meat between the flake edges and is way to salty even when rinsed.

I have done a number of experiments and it really does work. Halibut tends to lose a lot of water once it's been filleted and more when frozen and thawed. Toss it in the brine and it will really plump up the filet with far less of a tendency to dry out when cooking.

Thanks for the welcome this is such a great site

manxman

Interesting posts shearwater, welcome to the forum.
Manxman

TomG

Shear, we're out of Gashouse Cove on the San Francisco city front about 2.5 mi east of the Golden Gate bridge.

Life is good ;D

Arcs_n_Sparks

TomG,

Looks like you Photoshopped all the fog out!

Arcs_n_Sparks

TomG

Nope, just another day in paradise ;D

MWS

My wife and I honeymooned in SF 16 years ago....Time for a second honeymoon. 
Mike 

"Men like to barbecue, men will cook if danger is involved"