Maverick probes going bad...

Started by Tim S, September 07, 2006, 02:55:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tim S

I just received my original smoker from Chez Bubba and was going to purchase a Maverick T-73 thermometer. I read that the probes are easy to ruin if they get wet.
Any truth to this??
Tim S

owrstrich

my maverick probes have been abused to no end and they still work fine...

prior to the maverick i had 2 polders and each of those had probe failures on a regular basis...

you gotta eat...

owrstrich
i am johnny owrstrich... i disapprove of this post...

bubbagump

Quote from: Tim S on September 07, 2006, 02:55:00 PM
I just received my original smoker from Chez Bubba and was going to purchase a Maverick T-73 thermometer. I read that the probes are easy to ruin if they get wet.
Any truth to this??

Hi Tim,

There is no problem getting the probe wet. It's the connection point where the cable meets the probe that you need to be careful of. In other words, don't fully immerse the probe, cable and all in water or you'll probably end up ruining it.

I normally clean the probe with a hot soapy rag and then wipe the cable down with a damp rag and have had no problems. I really like mine. I got it here:

http://www.thegadgetsource.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Session_ID=7843b833d134a9feb8d043228eb3b6a6&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=011502013733&Category_Code=BBQTHERMOMETERS&Product_Count=10

Good luck with your new smoker, you're going to really enjoy it.

Bubbagump

robs

For what it's worth, I burned my probe out the first time I used it on my propane grill.

Tim S

Thanks Guys. I appreciate the advice. The Maverick sounds like the way to go.

Tim
Tim S

IKnowWood

The Maverick is great.  I got mine from the same place bubbagump did and when it came in, the switch to turn on the receiver was dead.

I called up the main company in NJ and sent it back with a note.  I received a new one a week or so later.  No questions or receipt or nuthing.

As for probes.  I have had some go bad, but that was thru
1) Burning in a propane smoker that flamed up and burned it real bad
2) Submerged by accident
3) Submerged in boiling oil, on purpose, kinda.
4) Cut in half by accident
5) Lost and its somewhere out there, not in the product.

I have four left, one is a long one with a twist shaft in the end for the Turkey Fryer, its submerged a lot.  Just not all the way, this time.

I have two that are Polder replacements, and one original from my ET-73.  I don't use the Smoker Thermo much as I use the TS with Probe mostly.
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes