Author Topic: smoking whole chicken  (Read 3948 times)

Offline amyz

smoking whole chicken
« on: September 02, 2006, 05:20:16 PM »
What flavor of wood would anyone recommend for smoking  a whole chicken??
Thanks!

Offline IKnowWood

Re: smoking whole chicken
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2006, 07:17:03 PM »
AmyZ

I did a Roaster on Friday (yesterday) with 2 hours of Hickory and 1 hour of Mesquite.  Most would just do 3 hous of Hickory or something else.  I like the Mesquite mixed in as it adds some wildness or earthyness into the taste.

I could have done it 3 hours of Pecan but I did not have enough, I need to place an order for more Pecan.  Next time I might just do it with Pecan.
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes

Offline bubbagump

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2006, 08:31:08 PM »
Amy,

I have tried a variety of different pucks on poultry since purchasing my smoker and have found maple and apple to be my favorite. I usually brine my chickens overnight using one of the many brine recipes found here or on other sites.

Bubbagump

Offline 3rensho

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2006, 08:22:07 AM »
Hi,  I've settled on apple, about two hours worth - although that is only my taste.  I've used Alder too but come back to apple.  I use the chicken in pasta dishes and a great chicken salad for lunch.  It has a light smokey flavor.  I brine my chickens overnight as well and they are really moist and tender.  Highly recommend brining.  I always toss the skin as in my hands it comes out pretty leathery.

Tom
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

Offline Malc

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2006, 09:44:11 AM »
I have tried mesquite for three hrs., and I really liked that.  Apple for four hours was pretty good too.  I generally rub them down with one of many dry rubs and put half a beer with some aromatics and vinegar into the cavity.  I usually toss the skin, as well.  Too smoky for me, but that is preference I guess.

Malc
« Last Edit: September 03, 2006, 09:45:55 AM by Malc »
From the forest itself comes the handle for the axe.

Offline Habanero Smoker

• Member Extraordinaire
  • KCBS - Master Certified Barbecue Judge
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2006, 01:59:40 PM »
I've tried about all the flavors Bradley puts out, pecan is my favorite; followed closely by apple and maple.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)